1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's great on the cheap? Used 12" combos.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottfeldstein, Dec 1, 2019 at 1:11 AM.

1. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    So I'm thinking it might nice to have a 10"-12" combo amp that

a) is coffee house/open mic night giggable on its own
    b) supports an external 8 ohm speaker cab
    c) weighs less 45 pounds or less
    c) costs less than ten million dollars used. (So maybe $250 or less?)

Or is this just a pipe dream?

(EDIT: after a day of searching GC and Reverb, I have altered my specs. $200 was unreasonable, as was 40 pounds. It's now $250 and 45.)

(SECOND EDIT: Under $300)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. DeepFriedBass

DeepFriedBass

Nov 21, 2019
    Probably can find a 100-300 watt combo amp for 200-300. Ampev, hartke, trace Elliott... etc

3. IDK if you will hit all those criteria, there’s probably a compromise somewhere. Love to hear what suggestions come up.

what kind of tone do you like?

for $200, I think the best bet is a Rumble 40 (new) or 100 (used) But the tone may not do it for you.

Or look at the first series of GK MB (silver grill) I see them for $200 from time to time. I don’t believe there’s an extension option.

stretch to $300, GK MB series ii - 110 (100w) or 112 (200w.) clean tone, takes a proprietary GK powered extension.

stretch the weight limit, plenty more

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 6:37 AM
    packhowitzer likes this.
  4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I cannot think of one unless you drop the requirement for an ext speaker out. If you make that concession, then a Hartke 12 would be a decent option.

5. Fast, good or cheap—pick any two! :laugh:

A used Fender Rumble 200 meets all criteria but price—you’re probably looking at $300-ish used.

Why do you want the extension for coffee houses and open mics?

dkelley likes this.
  6. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Exactly my thought.

7. DeepFriedBass

DeepFriedBass

Nov 21, 2019
    He wants an amp loud enough to play small venues that can also support an extension... basic stuff.

I wouldn't go lower than 100 watts. $300 would be a more realistic budget but you might find a deal.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Few small combos have extension speaker jacks. In the Fender Rumble line, you have to go to the 200 (15" speaker) to get one.

Look for a used GK MB-150. 150 watts, 12" , extension jack, 26 pounds. Classic GK preamp. New ones are pricey but used ones are cheap...not $200 cheap, though.

61bllR9nVEL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

ElMon, MCF, fishdreams and 5 others like this.
  9. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Funny you bring this guy up. I actually own the extension cab for it. In a GC screw up, they mislabeled the thing and I got it for about $125. I see them used now for $400.

Bass Jones and tindrum like this.
  10. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Interesting, just this morning I'm looking at my local CL and saw this.

basscube.jpg

Staccato likes this.
  11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    ...I saw that too. :D

Staccato and mapleglo like this.
  12. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
  13. JMV

JMV

Apr 23, 2019
    I have an older version of this, and would agree it would easily keep up with small coffee house, open mic scenarios mentioned by OP (with excellent tone IMO). I also drive a GK 410 cab with it when more volume is needed - and you can defeat the internal 12" if desired via factory switch feature. Perhaps my 410 is not a perfect cab match for this "head" but it does move more air and takes it into zone of moderately loud rock :roflmao:

14. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    A Traynor SB112 might suit you. Gollihur carries them, and he has good taste.

bassliner50, ElMon, quickfix and 2 others like this.
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Rumble 100.

Pilgrim likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Five reviews here.

Joebone likes this.
  17. IMHO coffee shop amps are not going to be band-volume giggable amps... unless you compromise on any of the following:
    - size and weight (you can get the amp you want if it's bigger and much heavier, used)
    - price (pay $500+, maybe more, and you can get an amp that does both situations well)

maybe you don't need a band volume giggable amp? I sort of got that impression from your extension cab upgrade point though.

Thing is - an extension cab will make it a little louder, but if it's as affordable as you are asking, then you won't get much volume with or without an extension cab, unless you're very lucky in your shopping experiences.

I do think GK combos, the old ones, are the way to go, but probably more like $300ish used. Why? Because GK is probably the only make of older used combos to make them that light. Most other light bass combos of yesteryear were pretty low powered or had inefficient speakers that wouldn't get you the volume you want.

I also recommend traynor or yorkville bass combos - they're really good - but again it'll cost more, and possibly (probably?) weigh more than you want. they can get pretty darn loud though and do sound great, depending on the model and age (of course there are lots of variations, so that's an over generalization).

quickfix likes this.
  18. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    There are a bunch of used SWR Workingman's combos out there. I have a 12" and it works great for smaller venues.

Tnavis, ahc, yodedude2 and 1 other person like this.
  19. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.

I used to have one. Good amps. That amp as a stand alone amp did all of my small sized gigs, and with an extension cab, did the bit bigger rooms. That one seems to check all your boxes. The only thing is price with shipping is going to be $255, which is a bit above your stated budget, but close. Also saw this used at Guitar Center if you're more into GK, and you already have an ext. cab.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/G...ralight-200W-1x15-Bass-Combo-Amp-115522268.gc

20. The only combo I have at the moment is a traynor sb112. I paid 180$ canadian for it, but that's a silly deal I got from a wealthy lady who was getting rid of her son's stuff for him. I paid the asking price.

It does not have an external speaker jack, however it is very loud. I have used it in living rooms, studios and a small hall. Even with a loud drummer it was more than enough without an extension.

Edit: I've only used it super loud since getting a high pass filter.

quickfix likes this.