1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's happening at The Sampler

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Hey folks, time for some communication on The Sampler page.

As some of you who have sent tracks within the last four months or so know, I've been ignoring the page. Busy with other stuff and down one computer in the household during that time due to an untimely motherboard death. It was my PLAY computer that died but a new behemoth has risen from those cold ashes, dear friends.

Anyway, while I was ignoring the page, something happened. Our traffic went waaaay up. I have a 30GB/month bandwidth limit on this account (Stormweb out of Sarnia, Ontario -- they've been very good to me and have great basic service.) For the first couple years of the page, we never even came close to that kind of traffic. However, in 4 of the last 6 months we're over. When we go over, dear friends, I get a bill. Because my host is better at technical matters than accounting matters, they just caught up with me a couple weeks ago -- so the bill-receiving part of this equation is new, too.

Suffice to say I'm not thrilled about the bills. It's nothing serious yet, but I'm going to do something about it. Right now I'm investigating my log file to see what's going on. I'm not sure, but I think there may be a couple of sites out there that are using our material for background noise or that are otherwise constantly linking to our page and downloading the same file over and over again. I've got some repeating URLs from xanga.com and singingfish.com that cause me to be suspicious. I'm new to this CSI angle to webifying so I'm a little slow figuring all this out. All I know right now is bandwidth went way up last October and has essentially stayed there. I'm trying to figure out why. Any ideas, web gurus out there?

(Hey you web gurus, aside from this problem, do you have any ideas on how to minimize problems with the kind of page we're running? For example, to keep bandwidth down, I'd like people NOT to stream off the page. Download one time and let your harddrive do the work after that, not my server's hard drive. Is there a way I can do that programmatically? All I want is for us and our friends to have reasonable access to the material. I don't want people coming back over and over for the same thing and if someone's a bad guy I want to be able to identify them and lock them out.)

Bottom line: it's possible the page may be closed temporarily in the coming days while I do stuff. It may also be the case that I have to ask contributors to limit themselves to two or three tracks. We'll have to wait and see. I'll do the analysis as to what's been going on and take appropriate steps after that.

The log suggests we had 35,000 hits in March. I'd like to believe that's legitimate, but I don't. I think something's going on that we don't want going on. My gut tells me we're a community whose activity will fit easily onto my little slice of the web.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Zip the files. Or write a programmatic page, like an asp page, that allows users to download a file from a directory that doesn't have http privileges. Similarly, if you have database access, a page with buttons that download or email files from a db server. The second one I'd have to study for a sec, but I'm pretty sure it could be done.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm no web guru, but if it gets to be too much, I bet I can have my webmaster host all or part of the Sampler on a newly added page of my site. He's pretty savvy, so if you don't have any luck figuring it out on your end, let me know and I'll enlist his opinion.

4. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Y'know, that's a brilliant idea Ray. I like it because it's simple and low tech and achieves exactly what I want. You gotta download the file, you can't stream the file, and webcrawling spiderbot thingies won't get all excited because they've found some mp3 files to colonize.

I just may do that. I'd much rather play bass than write code.

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Zipping the files is a great idea. Everyone wins that way. TB members can download smaller files faster, and your bandwidth will go down both because of the compression and because there will be no more streaming.

Also, you could host combined archives of, say, all of a particular bassist's tracks. For example, have an archive containing all of Ed Fuqua's music, which could be downloaded all at once.

You might also look into establishing a torrent with all of the material from the sampler on it. Some people obviously frown on BitTorrent, but for an application such as our sampler, it's 100% legal and a fabulous tool.

6. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    The torrent thing is a good idea, too. I've used it many times for legit stuff. Great for huge files.

I'm not sure these compressed files will be a whole lot smaller, seeing as though mp3 is already a compressed format. It's definitely got that packaging angle to it.

7. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Just to let you know, even trying to understand that has lead to serious amounts of smoke coming from my ears.:)

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :)

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    "webcrawling spiderbot thingies"

i hope i do not run into one of those things in a dark alley! anyhoo, i finally got some broad brand going on so I came to listen to yoose cats play...