Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's Happening in the Bay Area?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by BrandonEssex, Mar 14, 2003.

1. BrandonEssex

BrandonEssex

Feb 21, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm about to take a short vacation in San Francisco, and will be moving there this summer.
    I was wondering if anybody on the board is from the area, and would like to point me in the right direction in terms of finding some good live music, and maybe just get some opinions about the scene in general. I'll also be looking for a classical teacher who's willing to work with a gutbucket plunker like myself, so if anybody has any ideas.....All opinions are welcome!! Thanks!!

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Brandon,

In regards to teachers, if you PM me, I have at least 2 that are excellent.

Jazz clubs. Ahhhhhhh.

- Jazz at Pearl's. North Beach. Straight ahead, acoustic jazz. Trios - Sextets. Your standard standards.

- Rasella's Jazz Club. California/Divisadero. Straight ahead, some smooth jazz, some contemporary soul, some blues, some funk.

- Eastside West. Fillmore. Traditional jazz and dinner.

- Les Joulins Jazz Cafe. Straight ahead acoustic sets with dinner and bar.

- Yoshi's. Where the serious cats play. Where you pay serious dough.

Others include Skip's Tavern, Moose's, Bamboo Hut, Washington Square Bar and Grill, Rock Soup, Enrico's, House of Shields, Houston's, Rite Spot, Succotash, Top of the Mark, Bacar, Axum East, John's Grill, Plush Room, Chez Spencar, Cellar, Bobby Ryder's.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

HEE-WHACK!!! Damn, that's a lot of clubs....we've only got four or five places that you can regularly go hear jazz at in the whole town. Enjoy, you bastard. :)

4. BrandonEssex

BrandonEssex

Feb 21, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Hey! Thanks for the info. I feel slightly ignorant, but what is PM and how do I do it?

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    They have Jazz in Kentucky? As far as I understood you had both kinds of music; country and western.

6. BrandonEssex

BrandonEssex

Feb 21, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    you forgot about bluegrass......

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yessir, we got jazz. Come on down and sit in with the old jug band some time.....

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Incidentally, how long have you been in Ohio? I'm originally from Youngstown myself.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm just worried I might not fit in. I don't own any overalls, have all my teeth, and don't know the proper context for "reckon."

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Got all yer teeth, doya boy? I reckon ya got a real PURTY mouth...

11. BrandonEssex

BrandonEssex

Feb 21, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Jazzbo, you'd best stay clear, I's been burn in that ole bloo grass holler, ain't nothin but sheep guts and peech crates t' thump on dun thar I rekkin. ....

Ok, I'm really only kidding,,, I was born in KY though, and I've been in Cincinnati since around the middle of 1993 or so. Youngstown eh? I think I drove past there on my way to NYC....
    How long have you been in SF?

BTW, in defense of Kentucky (not that I need to, they can do it themselves), there may not be a lot of jazz there, but other genres (bluegrass, modern rock'n roll based stuff, blues, country) are everywhere, plus theres that little meeting of Jazz heavyweights every year for two weeks at U of Louisville, where they intimidate and torture young musicians until they can play their axes in their sleep.......

12. markr

markr

Mar 1, 2002
    SF
    Sorry to say Pearl's is closing :( Big loss, the jazz scene in SF is shrinking (tho' theres still a lot of good locals to hear, and the 'names' at Yoshi's).
    Yoshi's (in Oakland) is a fantastic spot to hear jazz. Tune into KCSM 91.1 fm, great station, they also have a datebook online I think. I like the small venues, there are many. Good luck!

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Really? I didn't hear. :(

14. whoa... you wouldn't believe how slow my computer is right now.

anyway, claude's cafe off bush street has some good groups on the weekends.

if you get a chance, hunt down the band "good for cows" i can't remember the bass players name, but the drummer is a friend of a friend. killer swing from two guys.

91.1 has a week signal. i couldn't get it at my old place over by sf state, but i get it ok at my new apartment downtown. i think the tower is in san mateo.

here's a tip... on the first thursday of every month, make your way over to sutter street, wander around, you'll see art galleries all over the place giving out free wine and food. free entry to all of 'em. when you're living in a city with these rents, you need a cheap night out!

15. I do some work at KCSM--it is indeed located in San Mateo. Both the tower and the station itself are on the College of San Mateo campus, which is incidentally my school. They datebook the station does will certainly keep you up to date on the jazz scene--maybe you can even hear some of my PSA's!

Also, if you want to expand past jazz a little, you can always check out my surf band. We play around the Bay Area, but most often at a Hawaiian resteraunt in Half Moon Bay called Ono. We play there the first and third Tuesdays of the month. Great food, too!

Good luck with the relocating--the Bay Area is a great place.

K. O'Brien

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Brandon.

While you're here, you owe it to yourself to check the Stern Grove Music Festival. They are free sunday concerts in a park. Great outdoor fun.

Did I mention they're free?;)