Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats heavier?! subVSmusicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Feb 16, 2004.

1. sub.. or stingray

what sounds betteR?

sub... or stingray.

whats better?

sub.. or stingray.

ps.. i like the 5 string subs, how it still has the circle pickguard... instead of just having the old one. anyone have pics of their sub? put it up!

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    One thing you need to consider is Price vs. Product... The Sub is (roughly) half the price of their Stingray counterparts. I played one over the weekend (5 stringer) and thought it was an excellent bass for the money..

I don't think you'll go wrong if you choose the Sub route.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    This is kind of a strange question. Of course the stingray is better, on all accounts. Why would a company make a simliliar instrument at a much reduced price that is better. Thatd be like saying "hey we hate money". As cool as Ernie Ball is they are not trying to just have fun and make basses, they are in it to make money. The SUB is a great bass for the money. Does it touch its big brother, no. I have a stingray and ive played countless SUB's. I do agree what they do with the 5 string may win some people over. For as much as i like playing a stingray 5 string the look has kept me from buying one. The main thing keeping me from EVER buying a sub is that stupid paint job, whos idea was it for "textured paint".

4. I think they both have about the same weigth.
    And i agree with the others, the Sub is a great bass for the money. And actually, I like the paintjob on them, but i always wanted a natural body, so i went for the Stingray

5. SUBs are poplar. Many Stingrays are Ash (and all opaque finishes are ash!) which will make them heavier.

6. my mistake, I'm sorry.