whats his name

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Jan 16, 2002.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I cant remember his name to save my life, who's the bassist for spryo gyra?
  2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ambush is the current player.
    here's some more from SG's lonnnngggg history(almost 30 years?).

Jim Kurzdorfer(sp? The original bassist...played a Music Man, I believe).

Will Lee...he's all over their first 4-5 albums, so much, that you'd swear he was the band's bassist.

Eddie Gomez...shows up on the group's acoustic numbers. "Conversation" from City Kids is one that comes to mind.

Marcus Miller...like Lee, he showed up a lot.

Kim Stone...played both electric & acoustic with SG. Very good platyer(he's now w/ the Rippingtons).

Oscar Cartaya...a very happenin' player(IMO), he had the 'best' Latin groove goin'(SG is big on Latin feels).

There's a couple more that I'm forgettin'...
    One name is David __________ I'm drawing a blank on his last name. He played in the LIVE shows, I don't believe he ever recorded anything with them; I'll have to check a couple of the earlier records' credits...he's probably listed in the "thanks" department.
    There was also a guy that played just prior to Cartaya...another Latin-type player(I'll have to look when I get home).

Anyone else?
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    thanks stepanie, I dont know why I can never remember his name. BUt thats a nice page you found for me, thanks.

Im suprised you never heard of these guys, I heard of them back in 1991 but never bothered to check them out. I wish I would have, their music is great! There kinda jazz/latin styles at least thats what the stuff im hearing so far sounds like.

If you have winmx, morphious or any other type program that lets you down load mp3's, you should download a few of their tunes and check them out.

some good ones to check out are:

Breakfast at Igors
    Cabana Carioca
    Old San Juan
    Group Therapy

Ive only got 16 of their songs and love each one of them, but those 4 are by far my personal favorites. Especially Breakfast at Igors.
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My first exposure to Will Lee was with the Brecker Brothers. He sang on their first single:)... "Sneakin' Up Behind You". There was also a little tune called "Some Skunk Funk" on there too.

I don't know if he performed luive with them, as Jim said, he was their studio bassist. I dig what Scott has done with them, fortunately they've stayed just this side of the Rippingtons, who I just can't get into (waaaay tooo smoooth):oops:. I also like the Oscar years.

Marcus first caught my eye a couple of years later, with a credit on Lenny White's (of RTF) first solo album. He was just goofing on the bass and I think the credit was for "weird bass".

Cassanova, just go here, it's a pretty accurate site.All Music
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What Brad said.
    Anyway, I went & dug out my SG albums(most of the early ones are on LP)-
    Here we go-

'77-Spryo Gyra(first album)
    ...Jim Kurzdorfer

'79-Morning Dance album
    ...Kurzdorfer(6 tracks); Will Lee(3 tracks)

'80-Catching The Sun
    ...Kurzdorfer; Lee. Lee is becoming more prominant.

'81-Free Time
    ...Will Lee(100%)

...Will Lee; Marcus Miller(1 track)

'83-City Kids
    ...Kim Stone; Eddie Gomez(URB); Lee; Miller

'84-Access All Areas(LIVE)

'85-Alternating Currents

'87-Stories Without Words
    ...Roberto Vally

'88-Rites Of Summer
    ...Oscar Cartaya

'89-Points Of View
    ...Cartaya(there's a smokin' swing tune on this one called "Swing Street". It's blazin'!)

'90-Fast Forward
    ...Cartaya("Para Ti Latino", a Cartaya tune, is muy mal).

'92-Three Wishes
    ...Scott Ambush

'93-Dreams Beyond Control

Road Scholars/LIVE(which I don't have)

That's about it for me; I really dug these guys a lot way back...at this point, I agree with Brad regarding the 'smoooothness'.

I really like City Kids & Incognito...& the Cartaya stuff.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    You're Killin' Me, Cass...

Im sorry Jim, you didnt have to go through all that trouble. I really do apreciate it though.
  9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the second to last track(i think thats which one it is, it king of sounds like a corea electric band track) on fast forward and para ti latino are two spyro gyra tracks are really like... a rare thing.
  10. sorry, but he's a friend of mine...

Roberto Vally was the low end man on the album "Stories Without Words". he played after Kim Stone and before Oscar Cartaya. if you get the chance to check him out you will not be disappointed. he's one of the funkiest, most melodic, and most MUSICAL bassists I've ever heard. he's a Fodera and an SWR endorser. I left Los Angeles a few years ago, but he's also played with Bobby Caldwell and Boney James. he's a doubler, but I don't know that his upright work has been recorded. if you ever hear of anything on tape, he was in an amazing band called Leisuremania before he hooked up with Spyro. they were based in Key West. he grew up in Jamaica, Queens (NYC) with Marcus Miller.

hope that was some help...

Chad Michael likes this.