Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's hot at your local bars right now?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ole Jason, Dec 20, 2003.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'm putting together a new 'bar band' to make a bit of scratch while school's in session. I'm working on the song list and was wondering what people are requesting at your local haunts. I live in a college town so pretty much anything goes from the commodores to skynyrd.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Toccata in D Minor... yes.

well. no.

er... probably some beefed up Duran Duran would go over purty well.

3. the girls are hot at my local bars

4. I think it depends.. if you're playing with 2 punk bands, then it would be suicide to play Backstreet-boys covers.. but on the other hand it would also be crazy to play anarchist-punk if the main act is a reggae-band..

so i think it totally depends on what the theme of the evening is, because it attracts different types of crowds.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    No matter what town I lived in, what bar I played in, or what band I belonged to, someone will always ask for Mustang Sally or Sweet Home Alabama:spit:

6. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    haha mustang sally!

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Cover bands, cover bands and cover bands.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

<b>Just pick out whatever String Cheese or Phish are covering, or anything from the Dead cover catalog. That's what works around here.

Some young guys came into the open mike I run last week. They were playing the exact same hippie tunes I was playing in the mid-70s. It was actually kind of keWl, I sat in on drums with them, and we were all on equal terms (I don't play drums :cool: )</b>

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

F Mustang freakin Sally. :spit: Play anything but that. How about a little Captain and Tenile, Muskrat Love.:p

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    80's hard rock and similar. Anything from Twisted Sister to Scorpions and Metallica. I played those covers a year ago, we got good reception.. I figure it's because the songs make you tap yer feet and are what people in their 20s and 30s listened when they were young.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You're going to have to put your flat feet on the ground... Best learn to like it!

;)

13. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I agree with Tsal. 80s metal is making a comeback here. In my last band I played in a classick rock band for a year and a half, over three states and BY FAR the most requested was mustang sally and pantera. Most of the time in the same night. Go figure.

14. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Godsmack is pretty popular in the jukebox at the bar I go to most.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Any Southern Rock seems to go over well. Charlie Daniels, Allman Bros., Skynyrd.

Do a version of Dobie Gray's "Drift Away".

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a requirement. I think it's part of the Liquor License agreement. If yer gonna have live music, someone has to yell Skynyrd or Mustang Sally.

Otherwise, what's the point of having live music?

(Vetran of said bars and vetran of yelling said requests to metal, punk and emo bands)

17. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Check out the bars you want to play and cover what gets played on the jukebox.

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    All you gotta do is get the girls to dance and the rest will take care of itself. I have two catagories with our cover band, #1 Songs that kick major a$$, #2 Songs that girls like to dance to. That's it!

19. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I think I thought of a win-win situation here. Since I usually play CDs through the sound system during set breaks, I am gonna create a CD that only has Mustang Sally and Sweet Home Alabama on it. I will put it on infinite repeat and let the clones have fun. Maybe we can take a longer set break by keeping the drunks occupied. Eventually they they'll get tired of those tunes. Wait...Who am I kidding, they'll probably still request it:spit: