Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's in an active pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Microbass, Feb 20, 2003.

1. hi all,

id like to start by asking; what is in an active pup?
    wires, obviously ;).. BUt say I want a new active pre amp for my gibson (passive) I'd need a new pick up, ya?

Why would this be? :confused:

2. an active pickup is passive in construction but has a pre amp built in
    as with emg they give a passive type cut tone control but also powered eq cut and boost to match.
    if you have passive pickups you can add a preamp either in your bass or outside and have control over the eq.
    an active pickup has magnets and wires just like a passive one and gets any 'heat' from the preamp.
    also the signal is changed to suit long cable runs and is more 'clean'
    emg website gives a good explanation in general terms.
    :)

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You can put in a preamp and keep the existing (passive) pickups. The preamp just takes the signal from the pickups and amplifies it / EQs it. Preamp modules (with knobs etc, that go in the control cavity) are generally called active electronics when they are powered by a battery.

Acitve pickups (of which there aren't many, basically all real EMGs and only a few of the other brands' models) have preamps built into them - usually simple ones without EQ. This allows them to design the pickups differently, for instance using fewer turns of wire. These types of pickups require a battery for power.

You can hook active pickups up to an active preamp (such as the EMG BTC module) too if you want, though I think they'll work fine through passive controls (volume/tone).