Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's in-between an Alembic and Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryan morris, Feb 10, 2004.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    a Warmbic.. or Alewick.. ha..

Hello, I've got an Alembic Spoiler and a Warwick Corvette Proline with EMG's. I love both basses.. but there are tiny issues with both. I'm wondering if a Czech Spector would be my happy median.

Ok, tone for the Proline is sweet. It's got the woody kind of growl (Swamp Ash body, Wenge neck and fb, EMG Active Jazz Pu's(sounds kind of like Marcus Miller's tone)).. but it lacks just a little clarity sometimes.. and I'm almost looking for an exact tone. The bass has a small issue with sitting down position and playing.. It seems to be a LITTLE uncomfortable.. (and I sit to play 90% of the time).

The Spoiler (Zebrawood top.. '85 (more "slap space").. Whew... It's got every bit of clarity I need. Lots of amazing tones.. but it doesn't get the mid-tone grind the right way for me.. All other parts of the bass are simply amazing. 32" scale is great for my chords.. The top register is VERY accessible.. (not as easy to do on the Warwick).

I love these basses.. but I want one bass that will do it all for me.. in the $900-1000 used range.. cheaper is cool too. I've always been interested in the Czech Spector with its ergonomic body, pu's, pre-amp, and looks.. Would this be the bass that would be in the medium or are there any others anyone would suggest? Thanks, Ryan

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ask Mad Subwoofer. He has a Warwick Dolphin equipped with a set of Alembic Pickups.

3. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ha.. that's good stuff.. I bet that sounds amazing... but i'm really interested in the spector.. or any other great fitting/feeling, diversified toned (woody growl to clear noted) bass out there.

4. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003

Hiya Ryan,

One thing to remember- the Corvette is a northern ash, not swamp (light) ash. I don't ordinarily make much of a fuss about wood, but I think there is a pretty remarkable difference between light (like swamp ash) and very dense (northern ash) bodies. If you pick up a pair of basses that are identical except for having bodies made of swamp and norther ash, respectively, it will take you a fraction of a second to tell the difference- the northern ash weighs a great deal more. To me, the difference is most obvious in thumbstyle playing- the sheer mass of the body makes the feel a lot different. That dense body is a component of the Marcus Miller sound, if you're into that. Anyway if you're looking to match that sound, you probably don't want swamp ash, which is a much lighter wood. The growing season in warmer climates makes growth rings wider in "swamp" ash, resulting in a wood that is less dense than the same species grown in cold climates with a shorter growing season.

I also found that the corvette was kind of awkward to play sitting down, which is why I got into the habit of always playing with a strap, and just having it hang at about the height it would have been if the body was a little wider. Now I do that all the time, since I don't have to lean over so much or put my foot up on something to raise the bass.

I think that the warwick would benefit from a preamp, as I think the cap in the passive tone control may cut off a little high end even turned all the way up. I was thinking of an EMG BQS when I had it, which gives you back the blend pot and some active bass/treble equalization.

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Save up a little more and get yourself a used Roscoe. Clarity and woody growl for days! ;)

6. If I were you, I would just get a third bass that sounds nothing like either the Warwick or the Alembic. that way you'll have three totally different instruments. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a bass that can literally do anything. chances are, your Warwick will do a better job sounding like a Warwick better than another bass would, and the same with your Alembic.

7. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    GooseYArd, I just sent you an e-mail.. Please let me know if you recieved it.. (my computer is nuts sometimes..). Also, sorry about that wood mix-up.. I should know the difference (in tone.. and def. weight)by playing and owning several Swamp Ash basses.. This Northern Ash def. gets the job done better for myself.

8. pedullas are great basses and i think they are better than warwick but a little less than alembic

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, check out a Roscoe before you buy anything else. The LG-3005 is about the same size and weight as a Spector. But that B string is the best in the business, you barely have to touch it to get a growl out of it. I used to own several Spectors, some of them are fine instruments, but they don't compare to the handmade craftsmanship of a Roscoe.

10. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I believe it's near impossible to say one brand is "better" than the other... like les says "It's just a matter of opinion".. BUT.. I am very interested in the Pedulla MVP.. I just don't like the general tone of Barts.. EMG fan.. (but this isn't exactly a pu debate).. So.. I guess I might have to do some really good research on the MVP and the Czech Spector. Anyone got sound clips of 'em? Thanks, Ryan

11. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'll check out the Roscoe.. I assume they make a 4 banger too.. Thanks, Ryan

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    So true, but it is hard to accurately (fairly?) compare most Spectors to a Roscoe. Not that Spector's aren't nice basses, they are! But a Roscoe is well, a Roscoe... Play one and you'll see. Then again, you may not be able to justify the extra cost and still G.A.S. for that Spector. Definitely worth a play though!
    :smug: :cool: ;)

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I had an Alembic Distillate and Persuader for a couple years, and a Warwick Infinity 5. Then I commissioned an FBB and they all went bye-bye. I've often compared the FBB vibe to Alembic-meets-Warwick. Very woody, fat tones and the organic feel you tend to associate with those brands.
    I'm sure you've seen them around the forum, just thought I'd mention them again.

Might fall a little outside your budget right now, but they pop up used now and then. I usually buy 'em though.

FBB custom basses

14. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Yeah, Keith makes 4 string basses as well. My old bass teacher played at the Roscoe NAMM booth several times. He loves 'em!

15. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    xush, I've talked with Matt quite a few times.. He is a very nice guy.. and It always seemed like I'd really enjoy his instruments. (even that it may be that Warwick / Alembic blend) I'm just waitin' for that perfect 4 string to show up used or as a project bass on his site.

Danksalot and Big Joe, as soon as I'm able I'll try out a 4 string Roscoe..That'd be nice if it were soon.. and It happened to be THE instrument for me.

I'm compiling a nice list of basses to try now..

Anyone have soundclips of an FBB, Czech Spector, Roscoe or Pedulla MVP?

Thanks, Ryan

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  18. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    thanks for the clips xush. very nice.

also.. I think it's funny because I just about forgot my favorite bass I ever owned.. It was actually the most beautiful '92 Warwick Streamer Stage I ever (super quilt top)with Alembic Pu's and electronics... Got it from a guy at the old Bunny Bass site(still want to kill myself for selling that one :confused: (prob. why I forgot about it.. it brings up too many momories)).. :crying:

19. Try running the Spoiler through a Bellari tube microphone preamp with the "Q" switch engages and set to accentuate high mids.
    KFS

20. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Wow, this one sounds VERY much like my '94 Walnut/Wenge Warwick Thumb BO.

Bit more versatile though because of the third pickup.