Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's in Stanley Clarke's Rig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Including amps, effects, etc. This is for my site, so please make it accurate. Thank you!

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hmmm.... Do you mean what does he use "now", or do you mean what did he use for his classic recordings like "Hello Jeff" and "School Days"?

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    both

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, first thing you gotta understand is that Stanley is a very versatile bass player, and he's probably tried everything in the universe at one point or another in his career.

I know he did some of his early electric recordings using a Fender Bassman amp (yep, he really used a Bassman for bass).

When I saw him live in 1978, he was using an Acoustic 370 with a pair of 301 bottoms.

More recently, I've seen him using some EBS gear, but I think he auctioned off a lot of his bigger EBS bins and such when he got divorced a couple of years ago.

Tell me more about this site you're doing!

5. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    In some guitar building book (was it electric guitar handbook...?), there is a pic of his rig in late 70's or early 80's. He got a big acrylic dome full of 6" speakers.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The latest bass player article on Stanley says hes using Mackie power amps and Alembic (F2 I believe) preamps.

7. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I saw him a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't see and EBS stuff.

This was quite a big system, and part of it was a 18" JBL woofer and a Roland Jazz Chorus!!!!!!

Wolfram

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    OK, I'll use this sooner or later.

Check out the site, it's pretty cool.

9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    One more thing....

I need to know what kinds of cabs he uses/ has used. 4x10, 8x12, etc.