What's in your Modular Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, May 29, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking to put together a modular rig that will be versatile enough to handle any small-to-medium/large venue, so I was wondering what everyone else had in theirs.

So far, I'm thinking 1x10 and 1x15... maybe another 2x10 as well.

Thanks in advance :)
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I put this together and it sounds great, and is very portable. Ampeg PB250, Hartke 2x10 Transporter & SWR Workingman's 15.This rig has handled everything from fretless jazz to my six string.Here is a pic[​IMG]
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would say the most important part of a modular rig is to have a preamp/power amp combination or a stereo head (if you plan to use several cabinets anyway)
    as most heads will only drive down to 4 ohms a mono head will anly allow you to use 2 8 ohm or 1 4ohm cabinet
    my vote is for a stewrt or plx power amp as they both sound good, are very light weight, and will drive 2 ohm loads on each side (yes, that means you could drive up to 8 - 8 ohm cabinets:D

depending on the gig i use either my eden wt-400 or a stweart 2.1 with either an alembic or demeter pre (but there are a lot of fine preamps out there)
    as far as cabimets go it's largely a matter of taste. If you want to go strictly modular you may not want to have anything larger than a 210. Although smaller single 12 cabinets dont have quite the same athority as a 212 (eg epifani cabs) most still sound pretty darn good and a pair can be devestating.
    FWIW, right now i use a bag end 15, a bag end 12 and an aguilar 12 in various combinations (but i'm not done buying cabs):p

Just a final thought, you can always use 2 heads if you need to. I used to use my eden wt-400 and an swr elecric blue head together to run 3-4 cabinets (two from each amp). My favorite trick was to plug into one amp and then use the tuner send output of that amp to run into the second amplifiers instrument input. Tuner outs are usually the most unaffected by the amps gain and any tonal fingerprint the amp has.
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Interesting, thanks folks.

When you go to try out prospective new cabs, do you bring your others with you? What methods do you use to get a good sense of what it will sound like when put together?

So far I've only tried out one cab at a time.

EDIT: So far I'm thinking of the following:

AI Clarus w/ SansAmp BDDI
    Euphonic Audio CXL110
    Eden D115XLT

I know it's only gonna be two speakers, but these are supposedly VERY efficient cabs. Will it be enough for medium-sized venues?
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ampeg svp-pro (never works right, popping/crackling issues - but when it does work it sound really nice), qsc rmx 1450, avatar 410

on the floor - sadowsky pre, boss gt-6b getting a signal from a warwick corvette pro w/barts or fender jazz with barts

this setup works for me - i do r&b, straight-ahead jazz, latin and cover stuff
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Head: six space Roto Rack, powered by a Stewart 2.1 (lots'o'watts, just 17 pounds). It's bulkier than integrated heads, but lighter than many, and more powerful than practically all of 'em.

Cabinets: all Bergantino
    Quiet rehearsals/jams: 2x10
    Typical gigs: 2x10 over 1x15, or 3x10 alone
    Larger gigs: 2x10 over 3x10, or 6x10
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My gear currently covers it all:

Speakers, all or one depending on size of venue:
    MusicMan 2x10
    Aguilar 4x10
    Aguilar 1x15

QSC PLX 3002
    Eden Navigator preamp
    Korg rack tuner

Combo, for small rehearsals, etc.:
    SWR Baby Blue II (around 100 watts, 2x8 speakers)
  8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I was interested in a rack rig and Bergantino speakers, like an HT112 + EX112 or HT115 + HT210 or two HT210s.

The only combo of those that fit into my budget was the two 112s, but with my bass, I didn't care for its midrange.

I got an HT322 instead. It has one 12, two 10s, and an incredible sounding HF driver. Sensitivity is 104db @1W@1m, power handling 800W, 4 ohm, in a 93 pound cab (more than I was wanting to haul around, but this cab can do it all).
    I also got a Demeter VTBP-201S preamp, a QSC PLX1602 power amp (which I run bridged 1600W into 4 ohm), and a 4 space Gator GRR-4L rack case.

This system totally blows away all my expectations of what a really good bass system could sound like (and it fits into the back seat of my mid-sized sedan).
  9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Rack 1 for loud gigs: Demeter VTBP-201
    Stewart World 1.6
    Furman AR 117

Rack 2 for most gigs: Demeter VTBP-201
    Aguilar DB659
    Stewart PA-1000
    Furman AR 117

Rack 3 for home: Ampeg SVT IIP
    Stewart PA-1000

I have an SWR Goliath III, jr for use at home and Eden 210 and 410 XLT's for use at gigs.

10. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    2 Crown Powerbase3's
    2 Mackie 1400i's
    Aggie pre amp
    Ross 2x15 EQ
    Samson Wireless
    Korg Tuner
    Power conditioner

2 Eden 410's
    2 Peavey 118's (with JBL 2241's)

11. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have....

in the rack...
    SWR Bass 350 head
    Tech21 RBI
    Korg CA-20 tuner (pocket tuner)

2 EA CXL-110L cabs
    2 SWR Bass Monitor 12 cabs (until I sell them)

I'd recommend maybe a couple of 12's if you expect to put out enough sound for more than just the band at larger gigs, my 2-110's while great sounding up close lose their umph! less than 10 feet away, at least in the room I use them (about 60'x 30' w/concrete floors) and we only play around 100dbc
  12. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    To me Modular rigs would be one that you could take to a coffee house, or configure to take to a 1000+ arena stage... for me that means an intergrated head, and a combo of cabinets... on top of that all but the smallest places/rehersals will take a line or mic a cab, either way you'll be sending a signal to the house...

So my rig:
    Euphonic Audio IAmp 350
    BagEnd S12D 1x12
    BagEnd D10BX-D 2x10
    Cable, bass, and fingers

For small gigs and practice, the head and the 12. Small gigs I use the head and the 2x10, for the largest gigs, both cabs and the same head...
  13. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    4-space rack with:

-Demeter VTBP-201 pre
    -Mackie M-1200 power amp

Depending on the size of the gig, either:

-Epifani 1x12
    -Epifani 2x12 (usually)
    -a pair of Epi 2x12's (hard rock or outdoor gigs)

14. Fuzzbass

Here's how I achieve modularity: one rack rig, a number of speaker boxes. Note that my bass never gets any assist from a PA system and my #1 band can get kinda loud (due to the guitarist, not the drummer).

1) My rack rig contains an amp powerful to handle any situation I could imagine. In my case it's a Stewart World 2.1, because it's powerful and light (17 lbs). I also like the fact that it's dual-monaural: for some gigs I only use channel A, and leave channel B powered off.

2) I have a variety of speaker boxes. I use just a 2x10 for small rehearsals/jams. I use either 2x10/1x15 or 3x10 for small to medium gigs. For larger gigs I use 2x10/3x10, or 6x10.

Misc: I have a 25 watt 1x10 combo which I use at home, or for jams with acoustic guitars. I also have a consolidated 300W amp head which I sometimes use at rehearsals, but is mostly there as backup for my main rig.

I haven't named many brands simply because I wanted to give the general idea; individual players will have their own preferences for components.
  15. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hmmm, interesting. It seems that racks are the tool of choice, as opposed to a single head.

I've never used a separate pre/power amp combination. In what way does this offer more flexibility than an actual head?
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    From top to bottom

• Behringer Autocom MDX 1000 Compressor
    • BBE Sonic Maximizer 401
    • Green Audio ME-1 dual-channel solid state preamp
    • Green Audio GA-1000 poweramp, 2x500W RMS @ 4 ohms
  17. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, from the "modular" side, you could conceivably swap big or small power amps depending on the gig, but with high-powered lightweight power amps like the Stewarts and QSC PLX's around, there's not much point.

However, for most of us, I think it's because we either like the sound of a particular preamp that's not available as a head (Demeter, Alembic, Kern, etc.), or we want more power than is available with with most single heads, or both.

18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    BagEnd 115 and 210
    QSC RMX 2450 and Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp.

What was the question?

Oh, yeah...because I can't get that kind of stereo power from a head and I may one day get sick of the SVP tones, so I can easily switch it out and keep the power.

I like having a 210 for smallish rooms. 410s can be too heavy/big...I might as well just bring the 115 in that case. Anywhere the 210 would seem overkill, I just bring my Hartke Kickback 12 (practice amp).
  19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Something I've noticed is that some bassists like different preamps for different sounds, switching between two or more preamps depending on the tone they are after for a particular song.

Another thing is seperate preamp/power amp rigs allow you to keep a power amp you like and upgrade to a preamp you found you like better than the previous one (or vise-versa).
  20. Fuzzbass

Also: with a consolidated head, if any part of the internal signal chain breaks you're pretty much hosed. On the other hand, I had a rack preamp fail on me at a gig, and was able to quickly patch around it. I think I used my rack compressor as the preamp, but I could've also used my SansAmp Bass Driver pedal instead. After the gig, all I had to do was bring the preamp in for repair, not the entire rack.