1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's In Your Promo Pack?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 15, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Is a cd and a business card enough for a bar band?

What's In Your Promo Pack?

[​IMG]

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Depends on what bar it is. Take a look at the promotional bios that bands have provided for my home turf, a 300 seater : http://www.rivercitysaloon.com/

Click on "who's playing?" to get to the bios. IME one or two good paragraphs will satisfy most venues.

3. Our band...www.recklessunion.com uses a cd, business card, group photo, and a letter of introduction about the band members and the style of music we play. It works very well for us. :bassist:

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Could I Just say that I didn't read a single bio from any of those bands just way too much text. If it had the name, what style of music, covers or originals and maybe a little more of a description of the songs if original. That would of done me. I really don't want to read a meandering epic tale of who or what the band are. If I get into them more maybe I'll read the bio. But the above info should jump out straight away, anything after that is superfluous.

5. Beachcoma

Beachcoma

Mar 19, 2007
    Utrecht
    I agree with shadow. Whats important is that who ever will be reading will have the choice. Include the bio, but only as an attachment kinda thing, all the important stuff should be in a short 20 line intro text thingy... and of course cd, card, band logo and groupshot (preferably live shot with some audience) also, for the cd: the guy listening doesn't give a crap about proper intro, body and ending, don't use an album. Use a cd created for this purpose and put all your best stuff up front, trust me, you're really good if they listen until the end.

Peace

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I agree personally (see my last sentence above). I just click the band website links at the bottom of the bios.

However, those are the bands that got the gigs. The manager generally will not bother to listen to a CD unless he reads something to interest him in the band. I'm pretty sure the first paragraph or so is as deep as he goes, but obviously he likes the full novel to be included as well.;)

7. Stegre

Stegre

Aug 14, 2007
    Prmo Pack

1 page selling sheet
    Gig calendar
    A couple of business cards
    DVD video demo

It depends on the type of band of course, but more and more I get requests for video demo on DVD. Video is rapidly becoming the defacto standard and a client can simply pop in a DVD and get great quality.

It is necessary to put the demos on your website, and some will go there.... but the video DVD is working for the big money cover groups right now.

Stefan
    coverbandbook.com

8. look at Sonic Bids (www.sonicbids.com) and see what the other folks are doing with their EPK and build your's accordingly.

JMO

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Also I'd imagine that live recordings are going to be a hell of a lot better than something whipped up in a studio.