1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's in your rack and why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 1buba, Mar 18, 2009.

1. 1buba

1buba

Mar 19, 2006
    Placerville, CA
    I've searched and didn't really find the answer to this...

I've just gotten a GK2-500 and I love it. I'm putting it in a SKB 3u with a power conditioner (for chord management) and have a blank spot. I'd like to see if anyone has something that I would "need" to put in that empty space...

I've always been an amp / tuner guy. I've played with a 7 band eq and chorus, but just don't need it. Effects are probably out...

I play contemporary worship and some country/rock stuff.

if y'all would help out the noobies here, what you are using is great, but the why and what kind of music is a big deal too. For educational purposes doncha know! :ninja:

Thanks in advance.

2. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Tuner?

3. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Socks.

God didn't give me much to work with.

Sorry... I had to.

4. 1buba

1buba

Mar 19, 2006
    Placerville, CA
    Hahaha. No worries, after I submitted the post I reread it and figured someone would post "silicon". lol

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    A G.K. 800 with a fan on it's back cooling fins.

6. the engine

the engine Guest

A tuner would be my first choice. That being said, a nice compressor does a lot to smooth out your sound. I have a pretty hard right hand so I like how a compressor keeps things nice and tight when I get excited. I play fill-in gigs alot as well as a couple of bands that do everything from soul and funk to 80's and 90's pop/rock stuff. If you ever have to switch up styles as I do (from finger style to slap to a pick) the compressor goes a long ways towards avoiding major gain and volume tweeking on stage. Just do a lot of reading and asking questions before playing out with one. It's easy to overdo it and "squash" your tone. Good luck filling the spot!

7. Budha bass

Budha bass

Feb 19, 2009
    Paris / France
    a free space slider to put cables (or other things) ;)
    for bigger gigs you alco could consider a HF transmitter ...

8. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Currently in my main bang around one that hasn't changed in 8 years...
    Furman power conditioner
    Demeter pre-amp
    Crest ca-9
    Countryman DI
    Roll of duct tape
    A 20w lightbulb on a 1.5 foot chord in case I need back of rack light (I just plug it into the furman temporarily)

9. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    ^ nothing wrong with that rack!

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

From top to bottom:

X2 Digital Wireless XDR95. Why? Because I sometimes run sound from the stage, and want to hear what the audience is hearing.
    SansAmp RBI preamp. Why? Tone!
    SansAmp RPM preamp. Why? Tone!
    Crest CA9 power amp. Why? VOLUME! :eek::cool:

If I wanted to fill my empty spaces I might add either a compressor or rack tuner, but meh, I'm happy with what I got.

l_54a058db2a51dc5eb3d1c8e49a00502c.

11. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    In my rack:

Alembic F1-X preamp (cleanest pre out there if you ask me, and I like the crossover for biamping)
    Alembic SF-2 Superfilter (for tone shaping)
    QSC 1804 Power Amp (900 watts per side baby!)
    Furman AR-1215 Voltage Regulator (for clean, consistent power)
    Korg DTR-1000 rackmount tuner (obvious reasons)
    X2 Wireless (when I don't want to use a cable)

Alan

12. 1buba

1buba

Mar 19, 2006
    Placerville, CA
    Wow. Thanks! i thought this thread was going to be lost.

RE: A tuner, i actually have both a korg 1000 and a Peterson StroboStomp. The stomp wins everytime. I'd love to have one that would go in the rack, but hate to buy another tuner when I can fill the rack with ANOTHER toy. :)

RE: a DI, that would have been perfect, but I have one in the MB2-500.

The compressor seems like a good fit. I'm not particularly heavy handed (i don't think) but I am still working hard on my technique.

Some of the other items listed I will have to look up - i have no idea what they are.

Thanks for the help folks, i really appreciate it!

13. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    Furman
    Korg Rack Tuner
    DBX 163 1/2 Rack Comp
    SWR SM900

Easy, tight and compact

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Aguilar DB750 in a three space rack.

That's it. I'm pretty boring these days. I used to lug around a 6 space rack filled with stuff, but not any more. I like it more simple and to the point nowadays.

15. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    My rack consists of my preamp (Sansamp RBI) and my power amp (Crown CE1000).

I tune between sets using a handheld. Effects are for frustrated guitar wannabe's. ;)

IMHO

There, I said "IMHO". You can't flame me now!

16. jvollrath

jvollrath

Sep 11, 2008
    Athens, GA
    Mesa Boogie Titan V-12
    Aphex 204
    Korg DTR-2000
    Furman Power Conditioner

Straight and to the point.

17. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I have a 6-space rack case with a Furman and a GBE 1200...I just have filler plates in the empty slots...I had a rack tuner for a while...but I'm one of those guys that just likes a stomp box tuner better...

For a long time, I have wanted to get a rack mount wireless...but to be honest, I don't need one...90% of the gigs I do are small enough venues where I'm standing within 3-5 feet from my rig most of the night anyway...so whats the point?...just another constant battery expense...lol...but I still think about getting one...from time to time...

18. My rack is the amp, power supply and tuner. I also mounted a fan onto the top rail of the rack to aid in cooling/air flow.

Why?

I like having the rack tuner- it's one less thing to have to set up. I also like having the power supply to shut everything off with one switch. I have an extension cord on the power supply cord to give me around 15' of length which comes in handy.

normal_rackface.

normal_rackback.

19. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Other than my head I have a compressor which I recently ditched. I kinda want one again though. But I want a rack strobe tuner more.

EDIT: I also have a fan in the back of my rack. When ones amp is enclosed it is always nice to have something extra moving air.

20. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    DSCF0077.

Im thinking about a decimator for the empty space, but iunno

those arent my settings on the amp or sansamp, they are sellers pics