Whats in your rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sedan_dad, Mar 12, 2006.

1. sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    whats in your rack?
    I bought a SVT 3P and I guess i need to start putting a rack together.
    I thought I'd add a tuner .
    I'd like to keep it small and I have no need for any effects.
    I thought about some kind of light so I can read the knobs in the dark.This is my first rack so I really don't know whats availableas far as componets go.Any one have pics of their racks.What was your thinking when you put it together.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have two. The one I use the most is a 5 space, four of them are my Mesa 400+, and the other is a Korg DTR-2 tuner. My second one is a 4 space which holds my ol' Hartke mosfet 3500 and a Korg DTR-2 tuner.

In many years of gigging, I haven't felt the need for a Furman for the light or the dubious amount of protection they provide. I've never had a problem with needing more light on stage, and they also look a bit silly in a small rack.
  3. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA

I'd highly recommend a Furman power condition for both of you. Best $80-300 you'll spend on your rig... or maybe I am just a sucker for "peace of mind" sales tactics. :p
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Eden WT1205
    Furman M-8L Power Conditioner
    Korg DTR-2000 Tuner.

Used to have a dbx266XL compressor/gate, but didn't use it and don't need it with the Eden, I used to play Ampeg.
  5. tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Furman power conditioner
    Korg DTR-1000 tuner
    DBX 160A compressor
    Ampeg SVT4PRO head
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I'm not so convinced that Furman units are much more than glorified surge protectors and powerstrips, unless you get to the top of the price range that you quote. Any decent power conditioner/voltage regulator I've seen is both expensive and more bulky than a one space rack unit.

I've heard many here and out in the real world say as much too.
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Top to bottom:

Numark RC-8 powerstrip with pull out lights (it's a lot cheaper than a Furman and does the same thing!)
    Korg DTR-2 tuner
    ART Nightbass SE
    1sp UV light (to illuminate the SMX)
    Trace Elliot RAH350SMX head

I normally have the QuatraValve racked instead of the SMX/UV light setup but it is getting serviced right now.
  8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I've read countless posts and know of a couple of people whos gear was fried despite the fact that there was a furman in their rack. I personally us a Radio Shack power strip with resetable breaker. I dont think the furmans are all that neccesary (maybe I dont gig enough). I have never had a mishap with any kind of electronic gear in my life. I am sure it happens, but so far so good. Maybe the really high end Furmans are more effective.

Anyway, I am still putting my rack together and am not sure how to go about it. I have a four space rack and an eight space rack. I have an Eden Navigator and a QSC PLX 1602. I like the compactness of a four space rack, but I no longer have room for a tuner (the amp and pre are 2 spaces ea.) So the question is, do I want to sell my 4 space rack so that I can buy a 5 or 6 space. Or do I want to get a pedal tuner and be done with it. Anyone here us a pedal tuner. Am I going to go thru alot of batteries?
  9. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Sansamp RBI, Korg DTR-2, BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer, Sennheiser Digital 1000 Wireless, QSCRMX850, all in a 6 space gator rack that also has a built in power strip.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Korg DTR-2 Digital Rack Tuner
    ART 4X4 Lighted Power Conditioner
    Blank Panel
    GK 400RB-III
    Blank Panel
  11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

First Rig: Peavey Classic 400 all-tube head (no rack)

Second Rig:

SKB RLX5 (5 space roller rack)
    Nady U33-B UHF Bass Wireless System
    Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner (Voltmeter and Lights)
    Korg DTR-1000 Tuner
    Aguilar AG500 (dual Channel) Head
  12. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    My rack:

Furman RR15 w/lights
    BBE 362NR Sonic Maximizer/noise reduction
    Genz-Benz GBE600 head

I'm thinking of replacing the RR15 (years-old base Furman) with something slightly better ... though I like having the 'glorified power strip' protected in the rack rather than on the floor or on my pedal board. I like the convenience of flipping just two switches to power everything up, including my pedals (I use a Boss TU-2 pedal tuner with the daisy-chain lead to power the pedals from the RR15).
  13. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Behringer BTR2000 Tuner ( I know, I know but it works ) :D
    Eden WT550

In a Gator 4U ( It's lighter than my road ready )
  14. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Korg dtr-1
    Furman power conditioner
    eden wt-800.
  15. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Top to bottom:
    Furman Pl Plus
    Korg DTR-1
    Glockenklang HeartCore

Dan K.
  16. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Top case: Two space SKB shallow X Rack
    Gemini PL-01 power conditioner with rack lights (cheaper than Furman and came with a better warranty)
    Sabine RT 7000 rack tuner

Bottom case A: Three space SKB shallow X Rack
    Blank solid panel, silver-gray with diamond plate pattern
    GK 1001 RB-II

Bottom case B: Three space by MTS (much deeper than the SKB)
    Funk Logic Digilog Dynamicator (a blank black panel with knobs, funny type and faux VU meter; a bit pricey for what it is, but hey, their stuff is a hoot)
    Thunderfunk TFB 550

Case A is for use at my band's rehearsal space. B is at home atop my AccuGroove Whappo Jr. Either may go to a gig.

And on top of the two space SKB X rack: A PreSonus BlueMax compressor that I take in a 9" by 10" Rok Sak Gizmo Bag when choose to use it. I put four 15/16" black rubber stoppers on the bottom of the BlueMax using velcro to create feet that sit down into the debossed X on top of the two space SKB rack (the debossed X and the rubber non-slip feet keep it nicely in place). I had it in the shallow X rack, but it was a pain reaching back there to plug things in and turn it on (it's a very shallow half rack unit). It looks cool centered on the top of the whole shebang, and the rear inputs, outputs and power switch are much easier to access this way.
  17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Furman power conditioner for my fancy lighting needs
    Sabine RT-7100 for my fancy blinking needs
    empty space for my fancy shelving needs
    ThunderFunk TFB420 for my fancy tone needs