Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's indie?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Nov 3, 2002.

1. I hear people talk about indie, but I don't know what it is .

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    An independent record label perhaps?

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

"Indie" music is music released independently of large music conglomerates such as Atlantic, BMG, Colombia, Sony, etc. It can be released by a small label or even by the band or musicians themselves.

One problem with small independent labels or individual releases by a band is that of distribution. The mega labels like Sony can rapidly distribute CDs all over the world. That way a popular CD can sell millions of copies.

On the other hand, small local or regional labels may have trouble even getting a local record store to carry their releases, limiting the copies sold. Bands can sell their private releases at gigs or over the Internet. They may sell fewer CDs that way, but they can keep more of the profits. The downside is that they shoulder all the costs of marketing and distribution. They may have to shoulder losses if few CDS are sold.

The upside of indie releases is that the band or artist has total control over their product while in contrast major labels are notoriously dictatorial about what the artists produce. That is in addition to the fact that major labels keep a substantial amount of the CD sales for themselves and reimburse themselves first for the cost of producing the CD or video. Hence even highly successful new acts on major labels may not see much money at first and may wonder where all the money went.

4. Thanks alot Boplicity and Turrock!

That explanation was really great Bop.

5. It depends on the context. "Indie Rock" is an extant genre, like heavy metal or prog rock. Examples include Modest Mouse, Pavement, Archers of Loaf, Spoon, etc.

6. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    pavement! =D
    ahh im listening to them now =D
    Crooked Rain crooked rain =D
    Right now.. im listening to Cut Your hair
    Goood Stuff..
    did matador just re-release Slanted and Enchanted my brother told me about it yesterday on the way home from tacobell. Hmmmm I need to go get that.
    anyway.. something on topic
    Yeah. Indie is good stuff. Not all of it but alot of it. Indie though I dont think necesarily means a kind of alternative or rock music. It could be anything really. i guess the real deffinition is someone whos not on a big label and sells there stuff or else is sold by a small town record label. =D
    The thing i like about indie is the shows... You know everybody, and if your a fan..most likely you know people from the band =D. Thats always cool well.. it can be.. =D

7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    The opposite of oudie.... Ha-Ha-Ha!!!!!!!

Oh geez, I crack myself up.