1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's involved in fitting a non-standard neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jcburn, Mar 22, 2009.

1. I am looking at buying an ESP LTD J-1004 but somewhere down the track changing the neck out for a Warmoth neck (mostly due to fingerboard radius)
    What work needs to be done by a luthier and what could the costs be if anyone knows (luthiers please chip in). I'm sure the neck width is fine but the end of the neck pockets are different I'm sure (Warmoth necks have the rounded end, looks like the ESP has a flat edge to the end of the neck. Same scale length.
    Thanks for any help.

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Why buy this bass?

3. I understand the question. I am looking at building my own J style bass and have the oppurtunity to pick a mint one of these up very cheap, making it very cost effective compared to going for all Warmoth parts. I may even like the neck but ultimately I want to add a Warmoth P bass neck with the 13 degree tilt back headstock.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It may be possible to do it. Can't tell without looking at and measuring the route for the neck. You could make almost anything fit with enough ingenuity and expertise. It certainly won't be a cheap job to do if you have to get a tech to do it. Not worth it in my opinion.

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    If I had to do this, I'd make a template to rout the rounded end of the heel flat, to fit the neck pocket. With a pattern cutting bit, this might be no more than a flat piece of whatever, clamped to the bottom of the neck.

And, if I were fussing this much, I'd go ahead and convert it to threaded inserts and machine screws; all of my basses have been done like this.

6. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    How have you locked the neck inserts in and how does it change the feel/intonation/sustain?

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've put threaded inserts and machine bolts in a few basses including my old Fender P which I still play. It has no effect on the feel of the bass, no effect on intonation and an almost imperceptible increase in sustain-not enough to care about.

There are a couple of sonic advantages though. For one, it eliminated a slight dead spot that the bass had on C# on the G string. The sound seems a little bitt more even across the strings and up and down the neck, but this is barely noticeable.

Another advantage is the neck is very stable and I know it will never shift in the neck pocket and it makes it very easy to remove and re-instal for work if needed.

I might get around to doing it on a couple other basses I own but it's not a priority. If they had loose fitting neck pockets I would.