Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's it sound like in the womb?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Mar 4, 2005.

1. I was thumping my wife's 5-month-pregnant belly, waiting to be thumped back, & I began to wonder. Does a light tap sound like 'BAM-BAM-BAM in there, or would something fairly loud not even penetrate? I know that some of us(not me)were born in the late 70s & 80s, so you may remember(yuk, yuk- aren't I a clever old coot?).
    What do you think?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    They have dolls at Walmart in the infant section that make womb sounds. It's creepy as hell.

3. Strangely calming/discomforting at the same time. I think hearing those sounds in a dark, warm room might be hypnotic, but emanating from a not-too-convincing 'baby' is definitely weird.

4. Not sure about 5 months, but a little bit later into pregnancy the fetus has been proven to hear sound, like voices and music. An example of this, researchers had a group of pregnant mothers read The Cat in the Hat aloud during this time, and when the baby was born he displayed a preference for hearing that particular story, evidenced by their sucking response.

Nifty, eh?

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    SomecallmeTim - just curious, is your handle from the Holy Grail by chance? If so, awesome - if not, disregard this transmission.

6. Sure is. Tim the Enchanter rules, and we share a name, so my choice was obvious. :D

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    From what I understand, the womb makes a constant swooshing sound - which is really pretty loud. I saw this doctor on a TV show a couple of months ago, show how to quiet a screaming baby. He took this new born baby and put his mouth right up the baby's ear and went "Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh" really loud. The baby calmed down and fell asleep. It was amazing.

So, I think the womb is already kind of a huge whitenoise chamber, so I doubt your thumping was any louder than that.

Keep in mind that I have no children and am only going off the information I'm spoon fed from the TV.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't know dude. Stick your head up in there and let us know.

brad cook

9. But that is about as funny/clever as a fart in Church.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    FART IN CHURCH!?!?!? BWAAAAAAAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAH OHHH HA HAHHAHHAHA. Oh man, imagine the look on their faces OAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHHAHHAH, the guy would be like, "Jesus is my Aeroplane" and your butt would be all like "pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppttttttttttttttttt" and the organ playing old lady would be like, "My stars."

11. Okay, in a spacesuit, then.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Why that would just be rude.

13. When I was still in the womb, my mum and dad went to a Wishbone Ash concert. Perhaps explains my love of loud music!

14. I didn't say YOUR spacesuit.

15. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    i bet its like a primus record player that plays nothing but primus all the time

16. Hey I've peed my wetsuit while diving!!!! Ahhh the freedom of just pissing yourself without a care in the world. Nice and warm too.

Kinda makes me want to go out and get some depends!!! :D

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have a delay that holds for a really long time, and I occasionally have "Womb Jams" when I want to mellow out. I'll roll back my tone, do a lot of volume swells, so it's this nice repetitive woosh, and I'll lay back, chill, and add stuff when I feel like it.

Wow, I wonder why people think I'm a pot head.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Turns out you're just a womb head.

brad cook