1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's it worth? not selling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davec, Sep 26, 2008.

1. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    Ok, I'm at work and I can't post Pic's but the bass is my avatar and I have finally decided that I need a seperate insurance rider for my equipment, but I've had a har time attaching a value.

It is a 1985 Ken Smith BT Custom #231
    Fodera left @199 has a "fodera" style set neck
    It has been refinished since the Pic, I would say a 7/10 due to wear.
    Top and back (maybe Koa)
    But here is the trick P/J, according to Ken they made 6-12 of these

2. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    I just bought a 1983 Ken Smith BT #115 from a fellow TB'er two weeks ago. P/J configuration as well. Excellent condition (8+ out of 10). Koa over tiger maple (looks like yours as well). I paid $2,500. I would guess that yours not being carved by Fodera might be worth a little less. So, somewhere between $2,000 and $2,500...

3. davec

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    thanks, Thump. I know if I had to replace it with something new I'd be at least 2 x that and I've only seen a few this old. At least now I have a good idea for the used market

4. Its worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it.

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Wow... that was a smart answer :meh:

i saw one on the bay for 2350 BIN a few months back.. Good luck with sale :bassist:

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I would call Ken Smith and see if he will appraise it. You will get opinions here, that doesn't mean they are good opinions. Also try Gruhn Guitars in Nashville. If you send them some photos and description and $35.00 they will appraise the instrument too.

I don't know why it would be worth less if Vinnie Fodera worked on it. That makes no sense. Get a real opinion.

7. You might want to reread that quote. I bolded a single word that might change your response. As far as a "real" opinion, I think there are probably more people in tune with current bass markets and pricing here than at most stores and they won't charge you $35 to give the going rate for an item.
    Geez you guys are snippy today. It accurately describes the market. I've bought and sold basses both well above and well below their "worth". It depends on who's looking when.

Mike

8. davec

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    my insurance agent said $1.00;)

9. +1 for the appraisal, I'd image those guys would give you one in writing. This makes more sense and worth the $35. This will give the bass a verifiable value vs. an estimate.

Then should anything happen to that bass. Having the appraisal, won't allow the insurance company to low ball their estimated value. When it comes to paying a claim. With out it they will look into the three lowest values of that style of bass they can find. Then base the claim settlement off the average value of them before tax.

10. davec

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    The appraisal is a great idea I didn't realize Ken did that.

11. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    You have to insure it for what it would cost to replace it I guess...