Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BONZOBASS, May 8, 2003.

May 7, 2003
    a buddy of mine was given a HAMER SLAMMER early 90's late 80's(?) it has an extremely bad bow in it(the neck is bowed towards the strings)i loosend the t-rod all the way out till i could here it rattle then gave it 1/2 a turn to make it snug,now heres the problem w/ all the adjustment taken out it still is bowed WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT ?there is no adjustment left so i guess its beat no?i dont want to buy a new neck because i dont want to invest money in that bass when i have a fender p-bass already and am saving up for a real j/bass(MIJ or MIA one, mines a mex :bawl: )and its not that good of a bass(the bodies plywood:spit: )
    SO WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?:confused:
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    About the only option that you have is to tune it a little above standard and let it set for as long as it takes for the string tension to pull some relief into the neck.

A little trick that will speed up the process is to tune to standard or a bit above and put a temporary spacer about 3/4" thick between the strings and the fretboardat the last fret. This will change the angle of tension on the strings. Be sure to check every few hours to make sure you don't create too much relief.

Be patient. A bass neck with a loose truss rod is pretty flexible.

Hope this helps.

May 7, 2003
    give it a whirl and see w/ happens
  4. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    You might also try strings with higher tension. Flats tend to have higher tension than rounds, and I believe thicker gauges are also higher, in general.