1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's more important to you..gigs or musicianship.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, Jun 9, 2019.

1. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    I'd rather be in a good band that didn't play too often than a bad band that did.

DJ Bebop, bmac314, lat and 5 others like this.
  2. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    I respect a lot bands that release at a slower pace, spending a lot of time refining the songs before they go out gigging.
    When a band is in a rush to play live shortly after they even started the band, it usually shows, because the songs quality is what it is.

Alik and Bassist4Eris like this.
  3. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Neither are mutually exclusive. One should eventually lead to the other regardless of which comes first.

4. In all honesty, for me, it is an even mix of both. The gigs motivate me to be a better musician, and being a better musician motivates me to gig.

One_Dude and Bunk McNulty like this.
  5. Playing for a crowd... seeing people have a good time. That's why I do this.

Try to keep my bass mojo one notch above adequate, just one notch...

Gigs

6. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    So why do we want to get better? Why do we practice? For the cat & dog? For the wife? No one cares! I want to play to people, not f around in a closet. I don't get that.

I chose the path that allows me to get better by playing on stage. What ever that takes. I don't set around learning scales and chordal progressions to feed my wits. I am an entertainer in heart & soul.

With that said I did stop for a while (As I have a few times in my life) because I got sick of the whole bar thing, but now I miss it and I'm doing something about it (as I have a few times before). That something is getting together with people and learning songs I can play on stage once again. Turns out that setting at home playing (practicing) by myself was less fun and satisfying then the old bar scene. I can't help it.

Moosehead1966 and Bunk McNulty like this.
  7. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    The musicianship and the hang, then gigs.

Me, I haven't gigged in a few years, but write and record constantly, with others, and, eh, onanistically (doing it now).

oZZma likes this.
  8. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Yes. It’s not either/or. The more I play, the better I get. I’ve always considered time spent in front of an audience to be a more powerful—certainly more immediate—form of learning than any other. And a continual source of the desire to keep improving.

RustyAxe likes this.
  9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hey, hey now! :D

JMarkD likes this.
  10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I think there are aspects of musicianship that are best learned on the bandstand, and aspects that are best learned in the woodshed. Ideally, you need to strike a balance, IMHO.

smogg likes this.
  11. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA

I'm with you on that.......musicianship is more important to me instead of being seen....Then again there's nothing like the addiction of playing for an audience...But if the band isn't tight, it isnt right....just my 2 centavo's.

12. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I've been in bands where the creative output was inversely proportional to the number of gigs. The busier we were, the less we wrote. I prefer writing.

LBS-bass and oZZma like this.
  13. They're both equally important to me. Chronologically speaking, musicianship comes first because you need a certain level of musicianship to get gigs - but then the more gigs you get, the better your musicianship gets.

14. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Hands down, gigging is way more important. For me, playing bass is all about our band entertaining a crowd. I already play well enough to do that; if I never get any better, so be it. I still strive to improve, but am content with where I am in bass world.

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  15. The 2 days I improved the most were the first time I played with other musicians and the first time I got on stage with a band. There are things I don’t think you can learn any other way.

Likewise, there are many things you won’t ever learn on stage - or probably while playing with others generally.

16. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Because ive been way in the studio/production/ writing side for then last 10+ years, I'll say id like to go back to regular quality gigging.

That said, after 6 months id likely rescind.

Liam Wald likes this.
  17. Definitely musicianship. I practice almost every day. I turn down 75% of the gigs that come my way. I started gigging in 1968 and I am completely sick and tired of playing in bars for drinking dancers until midnight and getting home at 2am. I just say no.

Passinwind likes this.
  18. The key to what you say is in the word "quality". Quality gigs are fun. Bar gigs and gigs with players who aren't so good are absolutely dreadful.

rufus.K likes this.
  19. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    I think that is an interesting dichotomy that on TB one of the most common pieces of advice that is given to players that want to improve is to go find people that are better than you are to play with.

But then, at least on TB, no one wants to play with those folks that need/want to improve.

Maybe that TB advice only applies to bassists.

fhm555 likes this.
  20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve always been the weakest link in the band i’ve been for over thirty years. At first we played just about every weekend and a lot of weeks the weekend would start on Wednesday or Thursday. Playing that often i improved immensely but so did everyone else so relatively speaking even though i became a decent player, in the band i remained the weakest link. We might play out three times a year these days and i’m still the weakest link. The other stuff i’ve done over the years is a different story, i was getting calls on the regular from people wanting me to play in their band. I turned down a lot of them because pop and top forty of any genre is what i’d imagine purgatory to be like. Lots of classic country, blues of all kinds and guitar driven rock, two guitars and no keyboard. As was mentioned earlier, the volume of playing was what improved my musicianship but everyone grows in a band setting if you play often enough. That or they don’t last.