1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's more important to you..gigs or musicianship.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, Jun 9, 2019.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    How so?

It’s really pretty simple.

More gigs where you are playing the same stuff you already know and not pushing yourself vs fewer gigs but more time spent working on stuff you don’t know well.

Another example. KB player I know is great at one specific genre and plays out in that genre all the time.

He can’t play outside of that genre very well. Throw a chord chart in front of him and ask him to play through it and/ or solo and he’ll struggle.

Fewer gigs and more practice solo or with others playing through charts like that well elevate his musicianship. However he seems happy where he’s at playing the same stuff 3-5 nights a week he’s been playing.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    It's getting even more 'interesting' now...
    You go by the assumption that just because one may gig material one already knows , one is not, by default pushing oneself and that although one knows the material and may have played it how ever many times, there is no room for improvement?
    You assume it's an either or?

I gig in many genres , I also go home and work on things I need to work on. I learn from both scenarios. Both contribute to my musicianship with the gigs and the 'cold water situations'(say, I'm on a gig and someone shows up with music and asks me to sight read or a piece is called I am not familiar with) being the more useful ones, generally.

whero and juancaminos like this.
  3. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Don’t this as me being snippy. I just don’t know how to make it any clearer for you.

Many musicians I know are content playing the same tunes they’ve been playing for 20 years as long as it lands them stage time on a routine basis. They’ve grown as far as they want and don’t show any interest in going beyond that.

That’s fine. Their main goal is to land gigs not grow as a musician.

juancaminos likes this.
  4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    there are good and bad versions of both!

i'm always a fan of playing live as a learning tool, but just going out and playing poorly prepared, sloppy gigs with stale material = probably not great for you as a player.

just sitting on your couch noodling away to yourself on the same old scales = arguably not great for your development as a musician either (nothing wrong with doing this for fun - i do it! - but it's no substitute for structured practice).

both of these things aren't *that* bad and you'll probably improve somewhat over time in both cases. and in both cases what makes you develop is pushing your musical knowledge, whether it's just by learning /writing new songs (and polishing them enough to play live, well) or by actively expanding your base knowledge of the instrument.

juancaminos and smogg like this.
  5. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I see this with local cover guitarist a lot. Same cluster of tunes over & over. As time goes by these same songs just get more & more watered down as well. Please give your band mates and your audiences something new to enjoy on some kind of regularity.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Yes. this may very well apply to the people you know and maybe to you.
    I agree, that's fine.
    My experience is different.
    I guess my approach and attitude towards it is too.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  7. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    How about if you write record (alone and with others, in my case)?

8. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    It is either this :

Or this :

There is something almost like meditation to play music, play it well, know your poopie. Just for the sake of it... like buddhist do with sand mandela ... somewhat meditation and phylosophy at the same time.

9. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    In that case I'd argue that you may very well be a wonderfully talented musician and a great player, but you're not as good as you could be. Personally I lack the discipline required to make music in the situation you're describing (plus I don't have an original musical bone in my body so to speak) so that's a few big fat holes in my own musical development (or lack of).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    vvvmmm likes this.
  10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I'll be in the woodshed for about 1 more year..... Right now I am not good enough to get the Gigs I really want.

So Musicianship would be my answer.

juancaminos likes this.
  11. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

LOL, yeah, 30-40 dates per year. I've slowed down a lot since my yoot.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I reckon yer right, but if ya wanna check, see the "Vlayman" link b'low ... :whistle:

13. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    We thank our lucky stars for these type of people, really. I'm just not one of them. I'm not one to run for the president, I'm not one to seek a job in the National Baseball, basketball or football leagues. For me it's hard enough just to work/eat/sleep, raise a family, prepare for retirement, keep a wife happy, keep the house in order and all that other stuff while still trying to play just enough to keep up with all the other people just like me who still want to play their chosen instruments. Or ride motorcycles. Or fish and hunt. Or play cards. Or read or...You name it.

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    All ive ever wanted to do was perform in front of an audience. Thats why im a bassist

15. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I don't embarrass myself and I believe that I do bring a high level of musicianship to the table. I and all of my musician friends know that I will not step on stage if it's going to be a subpar show. Perhaps we should start a "what's your view/meaning/definition of musicianship"? I know that I can play anywhere with anyone in the scene that fits with-in my leaning. Probably not with the top jazz pros but I'm not into that scene. I just don't feel the need to woodshed anymore (or any less) for what I do. My woodshedding is the act of learning new songs some are easy and some stretch my abilities. The club, bar, resort, wedding band scene doesn't need musicians on that level. I've played with a guitar player who was a very serious jazz instructor, he husband was drum guy at a major college. She was no fun, even people in the audience mentioned that. Right now I'm working with a guy who has to dissect everything we do to see if it fits the proper scale. Really? Is that fun?

16. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Or?

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Define 'musicianship'...

18. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Bolded blue: You shed for yourself, not the scene....at least thats what I do. Im constantly in competition with myself to improve my playing for no one but myself.

Bold black: Thats a little extreme.

Really what I mean by that i think is "continuous improvement" and fostering a deeper level of understanding with your instrument and the music you play.

juancaminos likes this.
  19. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Becoming a better musician/artist
    I am part of a Post Progressive Rock band so for us gigging happens less than composing writing and recording. Its fun to gig though especially with our challenging and extremely fun to play songs.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think the 'or' is the problem. :)
    Yes, you do need to work on your technique and your musical vocabulary.
    That is , to a large extent done 'at home'.
    To really solidify what you have studied( knowing things does NOT make you a musician), I think it is important to apply those things to musical situations.
    If I had to chose wether I wanted to improve my musicianship at home or on a gig, (again the 'or'...) I'd always chose the gig as that is where the music happens and that is where I learn how to apply the things I know and improve my useage of them. Hopefully doing it with people that know things I don't , or focus on things I had forgotten again etc.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019