1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's more important to you..gigs or musicianship.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, Jun 9, 2019.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    I think a lot of people are missing my point.

Musician A wants to be on stage as much as possible using his current skill set even if it means driving two hours to play mustang sally. He has no interest in developing his skills any further than they are already. He won’t take on more challenging songs or genres because it means less time on stage (yeah I really know people like that).

Musician B wants to dive deeper and develop his skill set so passes up easier gigs in favor of shedding at home or spending time with musicians that will challenge him (at a gig or in a studio) even if it means embarrassing himself. (That’s where I’m at now)

One could be both I suppose, but given how limited free time is fir folks I figure it’s one or the other fir most of us.

juancaminos and Nashrakh like this.
  2. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    Wow, struck a nerve did I? It sounds like what I said doesn't apply to you. Hey, that's great. Truly.

The "I just want to play" guys I know basically have few personal standards or foibles, especially if any amount of money or any size audience is involved. I too want it to be meaningful every time I step on the stage. But sloppy classic rock or country pickup gigs (especially if the same old tired songs are played) just don't check enough boxes for me. So you can have all of mine. Let me know where to send them.

Oh the "fun" thing. I have more fun when things sound good. I just do.

Peace.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    juancaminos likes this.
  3. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Both. The best musicians with the most rewarding and challenging stuff I have played, never got out of the garage. So I settle for bands with "lesser musicians" who are gigging to get my stage fix and try to have another project that fills the creative/challenge void. I wish we could get (have got?) the original stuff on stage, but just didn't happen.

The "lesser musicians" must be at a reasonable level (not going to babysit a bunch of fools) and frankly, it takes a lot of pressure off the clam bake gigs when the rest of the band is doing the same. As long as the group doesn't take weeks to build a set and are fun and reasonably consistent with shared goals and it is well managed, it can be fine.

Sure ideally, I'd get out with the top guys, but I do need to have proper expectations - I'm not exactly Mr. Cream of the Crop myself.

4. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Ya know...at first I picked gigs. But the more I chew on this I'd have to say musicianship because the gigs are no good and/or no fun without good musicians...Right? But I don't mean extreme musicianship where you lock yourself in a bedroom for days studying theory. I want to play with folks who take it seriously enough to have good cadence, set up the changes, pour their soul into the performance. And yes put on a show while they are at it. That's it. But I still maintain that I work at all of this to be on stage playing for people surrounded with musicians who can groove.

5. Interrelated. Musicianship is primary I suppose, but I need gigs on the horizon to motivate me.

6. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Gold Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Or,,,,
    You could go down the path I was forced to follow.
    5 years ago I suffered a siezure which landed me in the ICU for 32 days and during that time it resulted in two seperate strokes.
    After spending another 30 days relearning how to walk, eat, dress, etc etc etc my neurologist asked me if there was anything I have never done before and wanted to learn. I immediately said I have always wanted to learn the guitar especially the bass. My daughter exclaimed "But Daddy you have played the bass as long as I have been alive and have had a number of bands" and broke down in tears. I was dumbfounded.
    It was all gone. Nothing left. I couldn't tell you which was the G string or where F# was on the E string.
    I would have to say Muscianship for myself only. I am starting from ground zero. I am taking formal bass lessons now as the Tabs just weren't cutting it. I am a retired Navy Corpsman who spent a number of tours with Marines so these old joints require alot of anti-inflamatories. Plus to top it off I have severe RA.
    BUT! I have been having the time of my life. Except having class with THOSE kids. Can't stand having someone 1/4 my age out play me and point it out.
    I have to say that gigging IMHO proves muscianship. I am looking forward to the day I play my first live gig THIS time. This is from a guy who stood on stage at the Fillmore West over 50 years ago, so I am told. Tuesday night open audition right after the basketball game.
    I have never related this on TB since I have joined this forum.
    To me muscianship is where it starts, performing is it's peak, and the coffin is when it ends.
    Hang to what you have because it can be so fragile.
    Soapbox is put away.
    This has been one of my more enjoyable threads.
    Bob