What's Most Important ....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Wheeler, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Rumor of / Hope for ... Tone?

10 vote(s)
  2. After Purchase Service?

1 vote(s)
  3. Recommendations from Others?

4 vote(s)
  4. Price? Impulse? Other Reason (please state)?

5 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. What Really determines Why You Buy Gear?

Rumor of Tone?
    After Purchase Service?
    Recomendations from Others
    Price? Impulse? Other?
  2. Other...

Sounds good when tested / 30 Day money back guarantee
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Good reviews and it sounds good IMO.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Other -

lots of things but the bottom line is the bottom line - $$$$. If I feel confident I'll get my money back out of it at a later date, and I like it and will use it, I'll buy it. It can be a pair of JBL K145s for $400, an Aggie 112 for $250, Epi T-310 UL for $700, or a new WWs for 2K. And I don't mind paying top dollar if I end up using something a lot - but I never know that until it's history. Gear that sits without use or I don't enjoy using just drives me nuts. No complaints on anything I break even on. During those rare moments when I get the hots for something, I take a shower. There's always more gear -and I rarely do vintage.
  5. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    I usually ask around and check out reviews, but my opinion always leads to the buy.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would say it is 100% based on trying a bass extensively and then, that it sounds and plays exactly how I want!!

There's no other way as far as I'm concerned and I can't imagine anything else!! :meh:

Certainly not any of the things in the poll!!
  7. Any other reasons other than "I want it, and I like it, it works for me" is the wrong reason to buy something.

If you buy it for the resale value, why buy it in the first place?

If you buy it because of reviews, what if anyone that reviewed it had an entirely different idea of "good tone" than you do? (more than likely)

If you buy only because of price you're a compulsive shopper and shouldn't be trusted with your own money! :D

If you buy because of service, who cares if you never use it because you hate it- it'll never break.

I think you have to want it and you have to like it, and that means you have to try it. If you rely on reccomendations and testimonials from people you don't know (or even people you do) and think "all these people can't be wrong" just remember McDonald's has "Billions and Billions Served" and it still sucks.

"Hero Worship" and "Keeping Up With the Joneses" were left off.
  8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Whats most important to me is buying gear that will get my sounds to the people.
  9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I buy gear because I am an American. Our culture places great social value upon the very act of consumerism, and I respond with the appropriate behavioral reaction. That said, I buy what pleases me, and that is reason enough.
  10. All good responses. This question was geared not so much towards the impulse purchase as the thoughtful one.

For example - there are a bunch of 400 wattish amp heads out there - why would you choose one over the other?

Fender Pro
    Mesa-Boogie Walkabout

the list goes on.