what's my amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SlowRiot, Jan 27, 2002.

1. SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    Stupid and/or pointless question really

i bought a Kustom amp off a friend. He said its 20W. On the back however it says 40W. Is the 40W something else? Cos like.... what would be the point of writing that on the back if its something else? :confused: ok well... er... yeah

do YOU know the answer??
  2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Probably the AC wattage the amp is consuming. As usual, consult someone else before taking me advice:D
  3. SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    well yeah but i meant in my not very well worded original question that it could well be something like that, but in that case why bother writing it? Besides its likely to be a lot more than 40W... and why would the player care, u just plug it in..... uhh..... :(
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You see this alot with Peaveys on ebay... On a lot of TKO 80's the description will say '150 Watts' because that's what it says on the back of the amp... They're talking power consumption. I don't understand whay they don't print the output wattage... Marketing types :rolleyes:

5. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    The power consumption is stamped on the back of bass amps just like on most other AC products. You can only draw so much wattage from an outlet - this way you'll know how much you can plug in before you hit the max on a single circuit. Also, if something keeps tripping breakers, one solution may be to look and see if all the devices on the circuit are, in total, drawing too much wattage.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If an amp has no extension speaker jack, there's no need to indicate the output power of the amp.

As White_Knight says, it is required to indicate the power consumption (this usually near where the fuse or power cord is).

For solid state amps, output wattage is usually about half of total power consumption (so a 20 watt amp would consume about 40 watts).

For tubes, it's usually more like a factor of 4. Old 50 watt Fender Bassman heads were marked as drawing 200 watts.