1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's my next sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tonegasm, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Hey everyone. I've currently got two Atkinson P/J's which I love dearly. They've got the P Bass punch and J Bass bite which I love. I'm thinking of adding another bass, probably an Atkinson build, to my arsenal but with totally different pickups and sound. I'm really partial to passive pickups and tend to mostly play with a semi-gritty tone but do play clean sometimes. I'd say my band's sound is a cross between Jimmy Eat World, Muse, Switchfoot, and Incubus.

Suggestions, please!

2. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Wow, noone?

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I was going to suggest something on the Stingray side of things, but you said you'd prefer passive.

Between a P, a J, and a SR you can pretty much do everything.

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not a whole lot of options outside those....you could try adding a preamp to a P/J or try some different strings on a passive pickup configuration (flats, rounds, taperwounds, etc.). Don't know what your pedalboard looks like, but you could try some pedals or other effects to give your current basses some different color.

So do you just like passive PICKUPS or is it just straight-up passive all around, no preamps or anything like that?

5. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    The reason I like passive pickups is because I like to keep things simple. I was thinking of maybe a bass with a different pickup configuration or something. How would Chi-Sonics or Darkstars work with the kind of music I mentioned in the first post?

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    what are your woods? my 75 PJ with ash/maple sounds MUCH brighter and more aggressive than my 62 PJ with alder/rosewood.

maybe look at some other woods for the next build. maybe use a different bridge and try different strings. PJ's have a pretty wide tone spectrum IMO, so I'd try experimenting with different variables.

7. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    Lakland! :D

maybe im biased because i just got my hands on a 44-02, but i can do ANYTHING with this bass! from a deep reggae sound, slappedy sounds, carol kaye 'click' bass sound, to some P bass esque sounds.

i loves it! highly recommend :D

8. Have you checked out Washburn's Daisyrock collection? An excellent compliment to any collection. lol :)

http://www.daisyrock.com/

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Rickenbacker. Do it.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Soapbar pup bass. Either Ibanez, Shecter or ESP Ltd. The humbucker pup type(those big wide ones with big wide exposed pole peices) to me have just proved to trebly and not really voiced like I like for me. Soapbars better remind me of what I like in guitar humbuckers.

11. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm kind of entertaining the idea o a Lakland Decade with Chi-Sonics or a Rickenbacker. Going to explore these options further. No sure how Chi-Sonics are with gainy sounds.

Anyway...

12. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    I'm pretty sure Atkinson's new EVOKE series has a Chi Sonic option.

13. What's wrong with you people, I'd rock one of these any day.

14. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Outside of the P/J setup you already have, in order to get a "new" sound, you're going to have to go outside the traditional pickup options.

Maybe lipstick pickups? A single coil P pickup? Dark Stars?

15. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    GAS :bag::ninja:

16. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Tell me about it.

I'm really close to snagging a Lakland Decade with Chi-Sonics off of a fellow TB'er, just not sure how the pickups sound due to a limited amount of sound clips/vids.

17. If your looking for something to 'add' but with a different sound, check out :

http://www.atkinsonbasses.com/evoke
    "72CS" Model: Chi-Sonic pickups, single-coil (bridge & neck)

String em up with nickels or flats and your good to go :)

18. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I'd love to order a custom bass with Chi-Sonics from Dan but I'm not sure if I'm going to like Chi-Sonics yet. I'm about to close a deal on a Lakland Decade II with Chi-Sonics to give Chi-Sonics a try for the first time. If I like them I'll probably place an order with Dan.

19. Darkstar loaded P.

20. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I wish I could find one!