Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's my Stack Worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by buzzbass, Oct 17, 2005.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Sorry if this in the wrong area, my supporting membership was just bought today. I don't have access to the classified forums yet.

I have an Eden 210 XLT & an Eden 410 XLT, both with Eden padded covers. They're not mint, but they are very very clean. GC offered me $800(after much bitching on my part) towards the $1350 Mesa Powerhouse 1000 (4x10 & 1-15), that I need to do battle with my stupid loud guitar player. I'm powering that stack with a Crown MacroTech 2400 in bridge mono mode. I like to play with a lot of bottom. When I get the crown loud enough that I can hear myslef, it farts (breaks up) the Edens out so bad you can't stand it.

I tested the Mesa with my SVT4-pro @ 1600 watts and it would not break up, even with the SVT running wide open. So I think it'll do the trick for me. It's rated @ 1000 watts RMS, where my 2 Edens are rated @ 700 & 350 watts . I don't want to get into the "tell him to turn down" debate, it falls on deaf ears with him. So, that's the highest rated cab I can find short of an 8x10(too big & heavy) that I dig the sound of. Looking back, I wanted the Mesa 3 yrs ago when I got the Edens. I was stuck on the "name" thing. Hindsight is 20/20, the Edens are nice, but they were never "my" sound. What do think I can get for 'em and is the GC price fair ?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    your not gonna get nearly as much selling it to a store. I hate it when dudes come into to the music store i work at and bitch that were not giving them enough money for their gear. Go sell it on ebay youll make a ton more. When we buy gear theres not a ton of markup compared to new items so its pointless for us. Sell it locally or on ebay and youll get alot more.

3. +1 You are attempting to buy at retail and sell at wholesale. Never works unless you are willing to take the discount.

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    a macrotech bridged mono running into a 310212 schroeder should be very very good medicine for a guitar player who has more concept of loud than music.

the footprint might even be, no , IS smaller than your current setup.

OR, a pair of 21012's is even more modular, and you can sell one off after your guitar player comes out of his bass induced coma.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Schroeder might do the trick :D

6. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I must be in the stone age. I know nothing about these cabs.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Just use the forum Search function and you can probably find the mega thread about Schroeder stuff. Basically they are very fine quality, high output cabinets that are also quite light.

8. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    thanks

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Those Edens are very loud cut-through kinda cabs, your guitarist must be off the hook loud :eek:

10. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The average price for those Edens is $400 for the 210 and $600 for the 410. You might get more if someone really wants them or doesn't know what they are worth, but to knowledgeable buyers I think those are fair, current prices.

It is sometimes worth a loss of a hundred or two of potential bucks in order to move something fast and locally. Think how much time and $$ it might take to pack those and ship those two Edens.

Now I am almost sure that those cabs are breaking up and farting, not the Crown. They are only tens. Tens can't take loud low notes as well as larger diameter drivers, unless you use a lot of them. On top of that, the Eden design is a bit dated... witness the XST models that are more like Epis and Bergs.

Move up to a more modern design in cabs and you'll be a lot happier. For $1350 you can get a lot more in the way of a big loud low-B cab. Consider used. Not saying the Mesa isn't any good, but there might be cabs that mow down guitarists better.

11. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Yeah... I guess that's why the 30+ years old SVT/810 stack sucks so much balls. Come to think of it, all of the rock players are playing accugroove these days, so maybe you're on to something!

"Dated" has nothing to do with sound.

12. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Huh, what ? Sorry I didn't hear you. :D You have no idea :(

13. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks for the advice, From what you've said the $800 that GC offered was decent. I'm going to list them here, when my suppoting account activates(paid yesterday). Right now I thinking the Boogie or possibly a Schroeder 310212. Because of the Crown, high power rating is a must. That sort of limits my choices. It's funny though. I traded a Goliath Sr.6x10 in on the Edens and it was plenty deep and loud enough. Of course that was in another band with TWO other guitarists.