1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's my vintage Hofner violin bass worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slopeshoulder, Sep 28, 2010.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    Meine bist ein late 60's-early 70's Hofner beatle violin bass in great shape mit original case. It's got blade pickups and a built in fuzz for that Think for Yourself sound.

Any ideas what it's worth?

Danke.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i've seen them go for $1400-$2K.

3. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    Any other estimates?

FYI this bass was left to me by my late brother, with whom i shared a room and a beatle vinyl collection from '64-'74. I'm trying to decide whether to insure it, or if he'd want me to sell it to get something I'd use every day to make music (he owned it as a collectible, he wasn't a player).

4. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    I don't have any expertise on vintage Hofners. But I went to e-Bay and did a search for early Jazz basses. I was impresses with what I found. Up to $5000 for some.

5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    blade pickups indicate late 60's/early 70s, so it's a bit less valuable than an earlier one with staple pickups. Check out this site to narrow down exactly what you've got:

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/factfiles/active/electronics.html

If it's in good condition, which it probably is if your brother had it as a collectable, $1500 is around the mark. I could definitely see the point in keeping it, though. It will only appreciate in value and you'll think fondly of your brother every time you see it.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey guys, in the future, please just report posts you think might be inappropriate and allow us to deal with them.

thanks.