Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's new??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Deynn, Nov 3, 2000.

1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I need some new CDs to listen to....

Any suggestions? :)

2. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    the meatpuppets are my favorite band, if youve never heard them listen to "up on the sun" by them or any of their albums from the eighties, some pretty nutty stuff on them, so there's my suggestion

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I HAVE heard one song by the meatpuppets...and thought it was pretty good. Maybe it IS time that I checked them out a bit further....Thanks!...:)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tribal Tech's newest(called ROCKET SCIENCE)is due out next week.
    Paul Jackson's BLACK OCTOPUS was recently re-issued(solo album from the '70s by the ex-Headhunters bassist).
    Dave Weckl's TRANSITION(Tom Kennedy on bass)just came out.
    Matt Garrison's solo disc has also been released.

Missing Persons' RHYME AND REASON and COLOR OF MY LIFE are due out later in Nov(first time on cd...& with bonus cuts).

5. Deynn, I just picked up a bunch of new stuff..
    Went to see Oteil Burbridge the other night (he was AMAZING!) and bought his CD "Love of a Lifetime" at the show.. you can only get it at one of his gigs or at http://www.nilerecords.com I highly recommend this disc.. a good blend of smooth jazz and funk, with awesome playing throughout.
    I won Dann Glenn's "Subharmonia" in the free giveaway here and received it Friday.. very cool. The music is really ethereal and atmospheric in places.. it's a real break from the norm.
    Also got Pat Metheny's "Trio 99-00" with Larry Grenadier on bass. A very good listen.

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Dave...Thanks. I've heard a lot about Oteil, but have never heard HIM. A real oversite on my part! That CD sounds like one I WILL definitely check out.
    And congratulations on being one of the Dann Glenn CD winners. I heard one MP3 from him...and liked what I heard.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IF...
    IF you're into checking out something "new" & different, pick up James Carter's LAYIN' IN THE CUT(I picked it up cheap from Columbia House).
    The rhythm section is-
    Jamaaladeen Tacuma: electric bass(remember him?)
    Grant Calvin Weston: drums(very baadddd player!)
    Marc Ribot: guitar
    Jef Lee Johnson: guitar

Carter's playing is like a collage of Modern Jazz saxophone; he'll run the gamut from Bop to Avant Garde...sometimes within the same phrase!
    The rhythm section pretty much sticks to the groove(Funky R&B). Pretty interesting dichotomy of styles.

8. the residents: wormwood
    dead milkmen: bid lizard

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I sure DO remember him. I had his first couple of solo recordings, but then sort of lost track of him.
    Every time I hear his name....I still can see, in my mind....that picture of him holding the white Steinberger...:)
    I sure am getting some good recommendations from you guys...thanks!