1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's next for my board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I just started getting into effects, and I am more focused on building a successful board.

Current setup:
    Planet Waves Tuner- no problems but might upgrade
    Boss Bass Overdrive ODB-3
    Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5
    Boss Bass EQ GEB-7

All bought used from the classifieds here.

Future Ideas:
    Sansamp VT Bass
    Delay
    Aguilar Tone Hammer
    Sansamp BDDI
    ?

Been researching delays recently, and have come across both digital, analog, and vintage. Looked at the Behringer VD400 labeled Vintage and DD400 labeled Digital. Whats the difference in delays?

What's next folks? What should I have in my board.
    I need a new rig too, something with some more "oompf".
    But that's another thread.

2. As is tradition: MOAR FUZZ!

3. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    forgot to list that. yeah i was looking into a fuzz too.

4. adamb1026

adamb1026

Nov 6, 2010
    Belfast
    They're a take on the Boss Delay pedals.
    Analogue - Manually adjust time/mix/feedback
    Digital - Set delay times usually time signature or repeats per second.

Plenty of youtube reviews on those pedals.

I have the Behringer VD400 for my guitar, nice for the price. But unless you are a member of Primus or some experimental band, I don't see the need for delay for a bass :S

5. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    alright i think i got a good start.
    im going to build my fuzz pedal. (i know right)
    now im working on powering them all.
    daisy chaining them one way or another.

6. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    I would upgrade the planet waves tuner to a Boss TU-2 ( The TU-2 will power the rest of your other pedals with a daisy chain. ) Then, I would add a fuzz, and delay....dont listen to the guy who said dont use delay for bass! I have two delays on my board, and they are great and fun to use.

Here's mine. Bass > Boss TU2 > Boss ME-50 > Russian Big Muff > Line 6 DL4 Delay > Boss DD-3 Delay > Boss TR-2 Tremolo > Boss RV-5 Reverb > MXR Micro Amp

pedalboard.

7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

Also the style of music you play might dictate the choice of effects. If you're into anything remotely connected to funk, you might consider enveloppe filter and/or wahs.

Wahs: Cry Baby Bass Wah (which I own and love), Morley, Ibanez Sweeping Demon, and so on.

Filters: don't really know where to start and how it ends 'cause there are tons of'em ! I have a few: DOD FX25 and 25B, Bassballs, Digitech Bass Synth wah, Old Boss FT-2.

So that might be another direction. If funk or filters aren't your thing, phasers ? If you play live or record, a DI would definitely be a good addition. I have a SansAmp PBDDI and wouldn't change it. Heard a lot of good things here on the Aggy.

A few searches here will certainly help as well.

8. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I had a crybaby wah and a russian bassballs filter. Although both fun, not practical for what I am doing. I have a straight DI bass box, no EQ or anything, that I use for church functions. I really want the Aguilar Tone Hammer because it is so versatile recording and gigging.

The Boss TU-2 I am assuming has a power in and power out, so if I used like a 9v 2a power in it should power the rest of my board?

Is there a difference between a muff and a fuzz? If I am thinking correctly a muff is a fuzz.

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    If it's the PW-CT-04 it's actually a good enough tuner for bass. And the TU-2 won't power anything unless you give it enough current in the first place. So you might as well just have a daisy chain on your power supply, just as convenient if not more so than a daisy chain sticking out of the back of your tuner.

10. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    it is the plane waves ct-04. i got it in the classifieds a bit back for $30.

it actually has a power in and out, same as the boss tu-2, so my daisy chain could start there. its a nice tuner, i have had zero problems with it.

im making a board to mount my pedals to today and im going to build my patch cables next week. my board is going to be super simple for now, but as my collection grows i could see it becoming more elaborate.

11. Bassmike62

I use a Boss Tu-2 to power 6 other Boss-like pedal in terms of requirements. Works well for me.

A muff is EHX's fuzz. They have quite a few of them, as their site shows. Personnally, I have the Bass Big muff, works well for my set-up, although I don't use it that much. I prefer my SansAmp overdrive.

http://www.ehx.com/

12. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i have an odb-3 bass overdrive already. i wasnt sure if a fuzz would accomplish anything different.

i still think ill buy a DIY kit and build one for kicks.

13. Bassmike62

DIY.... Been thinking about that for a winter project.

14. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
  15. Bassmike62

16. The DIY kits are fun, but make sure your soldering skills are decent. ;) I tried the BYOC envelope filter as a first kit. I practiced by building that little boost kit they send with your first pedal and THAT worked great. That's only a handful of solders though... When I got done with the envelope filter, one knob did what it was supposed to, one knob half worked and the third... well... didn't. So now I leave the building to others. lol

I've never tried a Tone Hammer, but I really think you're on the right track. My Sansamp BDDI hasn't come off my board since I bought it. Super SUPER handy and it even saved a recording session once! I imagine the Tone Hammer would be of similar value. If I ever decided to put together a second board, the TH is definitely on my list to check out.

I'm sure you have already, but just in case you haven't (or for anyone else), Aguilar has a Tone Hammer sound clips page. ;)

5sg.

17. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    the clips of the tone hammer are ridiculous! (in a good way)
    ive listened to all of them several time, thats what makes me want one.

as far as the DIY kits go, yeah my soldering skills are decent but nothing great on small components like that. so ill probably get a decent fuzz and maybe check out DIY eventually.

thanks for the tips.

18. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    fivestringgecko helped with my board without even knowing.

current setup:
    Planet Waves CT-04
    Boss Bass Equalizer GEB-7
    Boss Bass Overdrive ODB-3
    Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5

planned setup:
    Planet Waves CT-04
    Boss Bass Equalizer GEB-7
    [del]Boss Bass Overdrive ODB-3[/del] EHX Bass Blogger
    [del]Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5[/del] EHX Clone Theory

I liked the sound of the clone theory a lot. Hopefully it does what I want it to do in my board. The bass blogger takes care of my fuzz and my overdrive.

19. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
  20. Glad I could help! :)

5sg.