Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats next?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, May 24, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    In five days, I graduate high school. Reality still hasn't hit me yet, and when it does, I'm not sure how I'll feel. Excited? Sad? Worried? I depend on routine for my daily life. Not going to the same high school everyday, going to the same classes, seeing the same people is going to be too new to me. The more I think about it, the more I'm scared about change, but the more exasperated I am to be through with this stage in my life, and I find myself more ready to embrace whatever comes next. The song "Drive"by Incubus. "And whatever tomorrow brings. I'll be there with open arms and eyes."

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm just alittle anxious. In 24 hours I'll be done with exams, and through with high school. College is unsure for now. So I'll just have to wait and see. Any other '04ers feel the same way?

~Patrick

2. What do you have planned?

I had no Idea what I wanted to do, so I went and joined the Army. I left 9 days after I graduated.

3. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Start to formulate a plan, and don't get to used to sleeping late.

College isn't for everyone, but its certainly an eye opener, and worth checking into, there's bound to be something that interests you there.

If you haven't spoken w/ your guidance counselor yet, make it a point to do so; many are actually into their jobs, and will take the time to communicate w/ you outside of the regular school calendar if you are earnestly seeking some assistance or direction.

Don't be a bum. Start planning and making moves now, rather than enjoying your eternal summer. Its worth it.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm really notsure what my plans are. Probably Community College for a year or two.

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Nothing wrong w/ that. I went to community college out of HS as i was a....less than stellar student as a young man. Graduated magna cum laude (brag) and was accepted to an extremely prestigious university thereafter.

after the numerous colleges/uni's i've attended, i still swear that i received the best education in community college, due to passionate, dynamic, over-qualified faculty, low student:faculty ratio (about 7:1!), great facilities, and a wonderful atmosphere that actually promoted learning.

another community college +, and one that i wished i had taken advantage of, is the availability of technical associate degree (nursing, IT, even accounting) programs that'll provide a student w/ a quality income after only two years. it beats living in the dorms and eating ramen until earning a phd in comparative lit.

sadly enough, i majored in philosophy/religious studies in community college and at uni for my first B.A., so jobs weren't exactly abundant.

6. I graduate this friday.

I'm going a community college and get some stuff out of the way, and then hopefully I can eventually go to university of texas in a few years.

I decided I wasn't ready to move out on my own (nor could I afford it) so I'll continue to live with my parents for now. I plan on learning a lot of things this summer, like cooking and cleaning for myself.

I'm also looking for a job

7. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I can relate. Exams finish up the end of June. I have been conditionally accepted to the U of A in physiology, which is somethign I do enjoy. i am lookign forward to startign with that. i am still very very confused/lost/unsure of the future. I keep wondering if I'll be able to do well in a university setting, if I do will i get a good job? so much uncertainty. My plan is to work hard and try to leave as many doors open as possible. I don't want to be caught out by some stupid mistake I made when I was younger.

travis

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You could always do the 90210 thing. You and all your buddies pick one college and go to it together, and just act like you never graduated. :D

-Mike

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I don't know what's more sad...the fact that you made reference to 90210 or the fact that I GOT the reference. :meh:

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

My friend you're approaching some of the best years of your life. Above all, enjoy them.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Both :D

....I just watched it yesterday afternoon on FX. It's on my mind this morning.

-Mike

12. I just had graduation last night... Of course, I don't have to worry about what I'm gonna do with the next 4 yrs of my life. I'll let the Marine Corps decide that :) :bassist: I leave in roughly 3 weeks... Best of luck to ya.

'Cuda

13. It builds character.

Just remember, pain is just weakness leaving your body.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

+1 and remember these years to come, you will learn alot about people and the way things work. congrads on your graduation :)

15. On the other side of the spectrum: I'm getting my driver's license this coming wednesday. Yes, I am entering this country's roadways soon. Good luck in your future quest to become someone, I hope you find your place.