What's Next?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MotoClip, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Fender P-Bass + New Pickups

4 vote(s)
  2. Fender MIM Deluxe Zone Bass

2 vote(s)
  3. Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass

5 vote(s)
  1. I've been playing a MIM Fender Jazz for some time now and ready to get a new bass. I like the Jazz neck but prefer the Precision sound for my type of music. I like to do some jazzin from time to time though. Anyways, I want a new bass and I'm having a tough time figuring out what I want. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices:

1. Buy a MIM Fender P Bass and put in some nice pickups.(Cheapest)

2. Buy a MIM Fender Deluxe Zone Bass.(Cheaper)

3. Buy a Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass.(Cheap)

In case your wondering, I'm not rich. I would like to go as cheap as possible but I want something good. I have played them except the aerodyne and I'm still not sure yet. I'd like some comments and suggestions. (note: I'm not gonna buy it just cause someone says so, just gonna take it into consideration when I finally am ready to go buy one.) Thanks!
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Go for the Aerodyne. You get the best of both worlds.
  3. By the way, I left one out:

4. MIM Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special. (Cheaper than the Zone)
  4. I voted for the MIM P-bass. If you dig that p sound...IMHO it will give it to you in spades. Part of that sound is the passive electronics and the relatively direct signal from pickup to amp (again, my opinion). A lot of p/j setups come close to each, but if you want the precision vibe, get a precision. You might not have to change the pickup though, but if you do my vote would be for a Fender Original Precision Pickup. Plus the extra width on a precision neck, gives me more room to really dig into the bass.

Good luck.

ps. the newer MIMs, IMO, are a nice step up with the alder body. Something to think about if you're looking at a used bass
  5. I don't have to replace the pickups but I wanna upgrade em. Probably put the DiMarzio Split P Pickups in there.
  6. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i have a p/j bass special MIJ and its a fantastic inst,its neck is perfect and balanced with the body(v/impt)i have played the mex version AND ITS NOT THE SAME trust me
    we can debate all day about the japans vs the americans but its not even an issue against the mex's(no offense i own/owned many)theres one right now on e-bay for 275.00$ it would cost more for a mex because its newer but thats about it
  7. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I voted for the Aerodyne because not only will that give you the best of the P and the J, but it is one of the best looking models that fender makes IMO.
  8. Well I thought for a while.........and I think I'm gonna go with the Aerodyne. Thanks for opinions.