Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's on your New Standard?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Steve Killingsworth, Dec 26, 2005.

1. I have always had Spirocores on my laminated Cleveland. I like the spiro sound but have the itch to try something else. I have Obligatos on my previous bass and really liked the mellow tone. I am debating between Obligatos or trying something entirely new. My Spiros are several years old but still have a nice tone. I would be interested in trying a darker, arco-friendly string.

What are you NS laminated owners using? Are you satisfied with what you have? What other strings have you had on you bass?

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Reg Flexocors with the Stark E. That's about as smooth and dark as they get.

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Hmmn. A thread I should have started. Spiros have their appeal especially on my Cleveland. I had Dominants on for a minute and Stark Spiros. Didn't like either as much as the regular spirocores. Interested in what others have to say.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I'm still enjoying the Labella 7710's.

5. Ken,

I play mostly classical, only about 25% jazz, and I have been seriously considering your recommendation about Flexicore '92 Mediums with the Stark E.

My only concern is the jazz pizz that I play. Right now I have Helicore Orchestra Mediums and they still have reasonable sustain when played pizz. I am afraid that the Flexicores, may be impossibly thumpy, and indestinct.

Do you ever use your Flexicore setup for jazz?

I have a Shen SB180 (hybrid) well set up by Jeff B., and a W. Seiffert octagonal pernambuco bow.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm using '92s with a Spirocore E (cuz that's what I had around) and am really liking them. The jury is still out for me on whether I can really use them for jazz. So far, so good, though. It is a really, really dark pizz sound. We'll see if the sound carries into the room well over the next month or so of gigging.

For someone that does a lot of arco, the thuddish pizz is probably a very do-able tradeoff. For someone that doesn't use the Stick, the strings might be a little too dark.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    PS> Not playing these on a ply bass, though.

8. Ray,

When you say "dark" do you mean "not clear" in other words are the notes not distinct?

Or put another way - is it hard to distinguish the difference between notes, say and F# (on the E string) and a G?

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    All my Basses are 'Bustin' Pizz wise with regular Flexocor and the Stark E or all Starks. If you want a real Bass sound and not a buzzsaw, then use a string that has some real tone like the Flexs do.

10. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i've been wondering about the flexocor strings for jazz pizz. the bass i used to play was an old plywood meisel and it had old flexocors on it (purple top and bottom) and i found the pizz to be pretty nice, i've been thinking about putting some on my SB200 shen....so far every string i have put on there has been too bright on the g string, even a used Eudoxa. i'm just worried about the volume.

what string would be the next step up in brightness?

maybe you could say that the Oliv's would be the darkest string, then the Flexocor, then what????

11. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Steve,
    I have Spirocore mittels(mediums, orchestras, reds) on my Cleveland. I really like the versatility and volume of these strings. I have also tried Kolstein Heritage and Superflexables, but I like the Spiros better. My arco sucks so bad that I don't even think about arco friendly strings. My teacher uses Heliocore Orchestra heavy gauge, his pizz sounds great, his arco sounds great, I would probably try those strings first if I were looking for something different. Good luck on your quest (decent into madness) ;)
    JK

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think the pitch is pretty clear. I'm holding out on any sort of personal testament until I have these in a bunch of different situations. So far, though, 'chocolate' is the best word I have to describe the sound, both arco and pizz.

13. Thanks, Ken and Ray,

You have helped clear things up for me. I think I will take the plunge.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think this might be a good time to remind everyone to read the thread title again for Steve's sake...

I've still got Dominants on mine, and still dig 'em.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    So who's Newt Stoddard?

16. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    He also asks for a darker string on the Bass. That's beyond the title and so are the replies..

17. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Isn't he the rotund guy on american idol? Oh no thats right he used to be in congress when it was conservative.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Res Ipsa Loquitur.

19. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    You mean it no longer is? :hyper:

:bag:

20. Isn't this where Mr. Sulu says "I've lost all control of the helm!"??

Let me clarify. I am not so much interested in going into the tone of various strings--that is addressed quite well in other locations. I am more interested in how various strings respond on an NS. I know it could vary from bass to bass but I am just looking for general impressions.

But since you brought them up--what is the life span of a set of Flexocores? They seem a little pricey if they have an Obligato-length lifespan.