Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's on your pickguard?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by steamboat, Jan 8, 2001.

1. The other day one of my friends and I were looking through a bunch of screwed up drawings and such that he made as a small child, and we found this really messed up picture of Santa Claus that had us laughing on the floor (well not really.. but you get the idea).

He couldn't resist showing it off somehow, so he fingerpainted a green background on his pickguard, and then replicated the drawing on it (he's an art major.. so I'd be worried if he wasn't able to remake a drawing he made as a child). It is one of the most screwed up things I've ever seen. It's a cheap Peavey P copy so he's not exactly worried about resale value or anything. I love it.

Mine is bare right now.. I guess I haven't found anything to put on it that I wouldn't get sick of eventually.

2. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    no pickguards here, sorry- lol

3. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    its the plastic thingy on the body of your bass (or guitar) below the neck. It's there to prevent you from scratching the body if you play with a pick, but a lot of basses don't even have them.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nope - don't have one!

I now wait for somebody to say - Jaco didn't have a pickguard, so why does anybody need one! ;)

5. I've only got a pick guard on my '62 jazz reissue, but I don't wanna stick anything on that.
    Although, I might consider doing something to my acoustic/electric...

6. Just plain black moto pearl on my P-Bass, which looks real cool on the black body. I wouldn't ever draw on it or anything, but if I had a Peavey, I might do it ;)

7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    ;) Jaco didn't have a pickguard, so why does anybody need one?

:D:D:D

8. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Illinois
    I took an el-cheapo bass I had once and covered the pickguard with different colors of electrical tape, blue, yellow, red, white, green, and purple. Then I stripped the finish off of the rest of the bass, and painted it in a red, yellow, and blue swirl pattern. I called it the "Crayola Bass." I don't remember what happened to it. I remember sticking reflective tape on it once too.

9. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    What's on my pickguard? My fingerprints, baby. Lots and lots of them!

10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    The only thing on mine is scratches. Lots of scratches. I don't slap much, but for some reason I scratch the heck out of my bass when I do. My old Carvin with an oil finish has a sinkhole in it below the G string.

11. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    What's on my pickgard?
    When the doctor asked "We need a semen, urine, and a stool sample." I just left my pickgard and left.

('''NOTE: THIS JOKE WAS WARPED FROM A RODNEY DANGERFIELD JOKE WHERE HE "LEFT HIS UNDERWEAR AND LEFT"'''')

12. thanks for clearing that up, soundofphysics. i would have never figured that out.

one other thing: could you explain this concept of sarcasm to me? i don't get that either.

sorry i'm being such a bitch. no offense man. :D

13. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    well my friend sarcasm is when somoene uses the classic commical arts of satire and facetiousness. Good sarcasm is best defined when undetectabkle from normal serious speech.

lol, sorry dude i was distracting myself from finishing a thesis paper really late at night, and didn't see the name of the poster, and i jsut assumed you were a newbie with bad guessing skills. This can be attributed to lack of sleep, and caffeine/nicotine deprevation.-- bad habits are hard to break.

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey ONYX,

Actually I saw a video, (I think that it was the weird Jeff Berlin one), where Jaco had a pickguard made out of a Corn Flake box.

That gave me the idea to make a few 'custom' pickguards. The first was an ultra-hip Shaun Cassidy made from one of my wife's old albums. The guys in the band were thinkin' that was kinda weird, so I switched to some Marilyn Monroe ones made from an old calendar I had. If you laminate them after you cut them out, they'll last for quite awhile.

Here's an old pic of the first 'Marilyn' one that I had...kinda grainy, but you can get the idea!

http://thebluedogs.cjb.net/

This bass is currently on the bench undergoing a massive upgrade. I think that when it is done, I'll switch to 'Vargas Girls'...whaddya think??

-robert

[Edited by rllefebv on 01-10-2001 at 12:13 AM]

15. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Funny that you should say that! A friend of mine collects Vargas girls ( the pictures--not the girls;) ). A few weeks ago , he was showing me his latest aquisition. The suggestion was made that I should super-impose one on one of my Jazz basses. I've been thinking about it ever since!!

The only problem is deciding which one.......

16. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    The pickguard of my first bass, a white Yamaha, has a big painting of the words "Welcome to the New Decadence" with dollar signs and champagne glasses around.

Explanation:

A group I was in a few years ago was looking for a gimmick that would distinguish us from all the grunge/dweeb-rock bands we always seemed to play with, so we decided to create a movement called the "New-Decadence," whereby we embraced the exact opposite of all the rock trends that we saw taking over.

We used to come onstage wearing fur coats and dress suits, with money sticking out of our pockets. We'd sing songs about decadence and life-fulfillment and happiness, exalting excess. Where the band before us would sing songs about the young adolecent misfit, we performed songs on behalf of the quarterback of the football team, and how he had to break up with his bombshell girlfriends because they were interfering with his beer-drinking. Every third song we would finish with a champagne toast. We used to pay friends of ours to bike up to the bar, masquerading as "record execs" and offer us huge recording contracts, which we would then turn town because the "money wasn't sweet enough."

It was funnier if you were there, but it ended up being so over the top people loved it. We became a performace art group, and after a while even the people who initially hissed at our fur coats got in on the joke and starting singing along.

Now Kid Rock comes along and steals our formula. Oh well. It was a really fun gig anyway.

So that is the story of my pickguard.

[Edited by danroche on 01-10-2001 at 01:54 PM]

17. Staci

Staci

Dec 11, 1999
    "We don't need no stinking pick guards!"
    Staci :)