1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's On Your Workbench?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HaMMerHeD, Oct 6, 2015.

1. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Greetings Luthier's Corner!

We are all...well, mostly...busy people. Sometimes we have something we want to share, but we don't have the time to write up a thread about it. I think that leads to a lot of talented builders lurking, because they're just too busy.

Let's see some more lutherie pr0n!

miziomix, MrArose13 and jaemard like this.
  2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    As for me...

I just grabbed this "Katalox short" to be a fingerboard for a Carl Thompson inspired 5-string fretless I might build in the next couple of years. I've been kind-of worn out on building lately, so I might not get to it. But maybe...
    yNj2kEx.jpg
    It's 37" long, 4" wide, and 3/4" thick. I got it for $9.20 at Woodcraft OKC.

And working on scraping down this baritone guitar body:
    WEEdWkI.jpg
    I hate sanding, so I'm hoping to replace a lot of it with scraping.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  3. MrArose13

MrArose13 Commercial User

Aug 15, 2011
    Atlanta Georgia
    Owner/Luthier:RoseBud Basses & Guitars LLC
    ^^^ TESTIFY my brother! ^^^

Besides the 2 lingering threads I've got going here, Tossing around a new body shape (with a wacky wood arrangement) and the desire to build myself a new 5 string...

on my bench are a couple of neck through single cut guitars With a 24 inch scale. Done with a photo positive, photo negative theme. Both are Honduras mahogany neck and body: One) fretless with wenge top and white wenge, (lati) finger board: Second) white wenge, (lati) top and wenge FB.

DSCF0667 (3).JPG DSCF0669.JPG

AdamR, pappabass, Bass1218 and 15 others like this.
  4. MrArose13

MrArose13 Commercial User

Aug 15, 2011
    Atlanta Georgia
    Owner/Luthier:RoseBud Basses & Guitars LLC
    those pics came out WAAAY bigger than I expected :facepalm:

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The sparkle flame Strat I am working on has a build thread already, other than that, the only thing that has seen my bench lately was a simple pickup swap for a customer. I have been busy with my main job, so the work bench has been pretty neglected lately

6. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    @MrArose13 -
    Digging how those SC shapes reflect your usual body design. Very cool.
    Do you have a frontal pic?

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Those look great, MrArose! Here's the headstock for the above guitar, being scraped smooth.

hI1rMFe.jpg

8. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I'm fine tuning my latest full carbon fiber headless bass. At the moment it has EMG 35TW pickup with VMC control, waiting to mount BTC on the bass as well. Then I should have pretty wide tone shaping possibilities onboard.
    Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fuu38%2FMPU-01%2Fimage_zpsslh1bnsh.jpg

9. the baint

the baint

Jan 1, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Techtronic Industries, North America employee. Opinions are my own.
    @HaMMerHeD What scrapers are you using? I've been getting more into hand-tools (Not quite as hardcore as @Barnaby, yet) and want to learn scraping instead of relying on sanding.

10. redboy1975

redboy1975

Apr 24, 2011
    Sorrento
    20151008_145708.jpg I have more than enough to keep me busy . These pics are the stuff I'm working on for me not including the customer orders which I usually do 4 customers a year .

11. redboy1975

redboy1975

Apr 24, 2011
    Sorrento
    Just started this too 20151008_145752.jpg

12. tubedude

tubedude

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    1444335880895631348520.jpg
    tele for me. Mudbucker guitar for my granddaughter Lucia. Dumbleish Deluxe amp in process behind guitar on bench also. My next bass will a 6er. I'm hoping to find some sp3cial wood to make it pop. I'm thinking of a vaguely Fodera Monarch shape.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    Maret Guitars likes this.
  13. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
  14. I'm finishing up my fourth build which is a gift for a friend.

IMG_1438.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

15. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Finally finished my headstock design and template. I have a couple necks and fingerboards I have almost completed and going to finish off this buckeye burl bass I started over a year ago but got pushed to the back burner to work on other builds and re finishes for friends.

Attached Files:

Maret Guitars, tubedude and Deep Cat like this.
  16. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Finally finished with this one:
    3a62ER8.jpg

And working on the design for the next one.

17. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    On my workbench is...a new workbench!

oXptbQi.jpg

I've been using this ancient (well...WWII era) 12" table saw as a workbench for a while now, because it's big, flat, and heavy. But being metal, it's not terribly friendly to wooden bits. So...I've decided to make a slip-on workbench table top for it. The finished thing will be 48"x36". It'll be made from 2x4s and 2x8s. I'll put a vise on it somewhere.

Also, the table saw hasn't functioned in decades....so I'm not taking it out of service or anything.

Bass1218 and moonshinegtrs like this.
  18. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    A 5 string 51 style P

5-51P1.jpg

19. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Koa is so dreamy.