Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats out there for strange pedal mods?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by schmittuml, Feb 8, 2006.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    You know what i'm talking about...just curious to see what kinds stranged mods you have seen on pedals that, not change the effect, but how you control it (footswitches/expression pedals/etc.)

NO particular reason, just curious to see whats goin on, prob feed some G.A.S to some people....

-Brian

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have always thought of adding an expression pedal to the delay time on a delay pedal. Set it up so you could plug in a stereo plug into it, and have it hooked up to an expression pedal. When you change the time knob on a digital delay, the repeats sound carzy.

3. You can get a product called a third hand which is an expression pedal with a mechanical arm extension that physically bolts onto an existing pot on a pedal. You could connect it to the delay time pot on your delay and achieve exactly that.

[​IMG]

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/tip.php

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very cool. Can also be done electronically with a stereo jack to bypass the pot and plug in an external expression pedal. Would probably cost the same amount.

MXR finally utilized the idea on their Phase 90, built it into a wah casing to change the phaser speed. Unfortunately they want crazy amounts of money for it.

5. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Damn, they want over a hundred bucks for that Third Hand thing? I wonder how hard it would be to make one... If you've already got a regular expression pedal, I think the Analog Man mod to use that to bypass the DD-6 pots is only $50.

Hmm. Third Hand *is* interesting, though...

-Dash

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    How would I go about doing that? My Echo Park has 2 inputs and 2 outputs.

That Third Hand thing is GAStastic!

7. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I used to use my Original Ibanez AF9 in a loop using a Midi Looper/Switcher thing back in the rack90s.
    I modded the AF9, adding a jack, allowing to switch between Low and High Mode. This was controlled by one of the Midi switches. Finding the right spots to solder was done by trial and error. I had no idea what I was doing. Thinking about it now, I was really lucky finding them that fast while not destroying anything. Now the Pedal has a big hole just below the footswitch but is still working ok.

8. I modded a Boss PN-2 Trem/Pan rate knob to an exp. pedal. Way, way, way cool sounds to be had.

Planning to do the same with the stop frequency slider on my microsynth so it can be used as a tweaked out wah of sorts.

...and to the delay knob on my DOD Sampler (2 second delay.) Along these lines, I'm also on the prowl for an Ibanez Modulated Delay pedal which has an LFO that can be set to tweak the delay time for you!

9. I think I may need a new pedalbaord geeking after finding out this thing exists...:D. Being a member of talkbass is hazardous to your wallet...

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you end up rehousing your pedal, you can do TONS of stuff.

11. My mini Q-tron didn't work anymore so I took everything out except the switch and the jacks. I removed the pots and replaced 2 of them by inputs and I made myself a looper with a led indicating if the loop is on or not. I also put some fake-wood kind of sticky wallpaper on it so it does not look like a mini q-tron anymore.

12. I remember reading(though I don't know where) of a mod where you could have any parameter on a pedal controlled by your attack, like an envelope filter. There was a demo of it with a delay, it sounded very cool and it was definitly out there.

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Examples?

14. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    no need for examples........anything you can think of can happen with rehousing...... dont let other feed your GAS petary you have too much as it is......

dream up your own pedal.

15. About the rehousing thing, I was thinking of taking a good distortion pedal and replacing a wah pedal's guts with it. The basic idea would be to put the gain pot in the mechanism. The only issue I could think of that at the moment would be volume change. I have yet to get an idea for fixing that problem.

Just an idea though....

16. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I vote for phazers and flangers

17. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    phaser with steps controlled by an EP would be sexy.