1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

whats out there

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by airrick, Apr 9, 2006.

1. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    well, i just got a new bass (spector legend) so i can put away my squier pbass, so i figured its time for an upgrade to my amp (fender rumble 15) the limit is under 1000. any brands to look out for? what about size and all that?

2. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006

Oh wow! A decent amp for under a grand....I don't know where to start!
    Hundreds of things you could go for; just walk into a shop and try stuff out!

3. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    i will have that option later on, but right now i just need some basic newbie info.

4. There are really too many directions this can go in to have a decent conversation. You'll need to narrow down your needs. Type of music, volume needs, weight limits, size concerns, combo or head/cab, tube/solid state/hybrid...any of the blanks you can fill in will help the members give you a more informed answer. Without them, the previous "walk into a store and try stuff out" is the best advice you can get.

Mike

5. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    well, im in a band with two basses, one guitar,singer,drummer and need a quality amp, it needs to be powerfull, and good for rock, metal

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sounds like a Traynor YBA-200 is in order. Other great heads in the price range include the Kustom Groovebass and the Yorkville 800. Look used too. As for cabs, just keep trying em out until you find one you like and can afford.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Two bass players! you guys could pull off spinal taps, "big bottom song"......;)

8. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    just to show you how much of a amp noob i am, what is a cab, don't you jsut need a amp to plug in your bass to?

9. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    We wish!:p A cab is a speaker cabinet that turns the signal comming from an amp ("head" or spereate pre-amp/power-amp) into what you hear. at the least you'll need a Combo, which is a head (pre-amp and power-amp combined) and a speaker cab combined into one piece of equipment.

For more info check the F.A.Q.s and some quick searches:D

10. $1000 ?

GK 1001 RBII head = $600-ish brand new.
    Avatar 410 NEO (4 ohm) = $400-ish brand new.

Good stuff at a believable price.

11. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    or some Ned's Atomic Dustbin! (whatever happened to...)

Just saw a 350-watt 4x10 Hartke combo in Sam Ash for well under a grand. How'd it sound? Couldn't tell you...I too busy playing with the new Line 6 bass amp! :)
    Then down the street to my local Guitar Center...Gallien-Krueger 1001RB--on sale for $550; slightly used GK 2x10--$350.
    There's tons of stuff to go for. Like someone said before- determine your needs, try some stuff out, then go from there. And don't rule out used just because it's "used."(learned that lesson a long time ago!)
    Just don't walk into a shop saying "I've got $1000, I need an amp, but I don't know anything about them." May as well just give them your money and leave!

12. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i'd get a carvin b1500, you'll never outgrow the power on that one-$699 new, then scour ebay for an acme b2 or a b4 (one just didn't sell on ebay for $380!)- you'll go a little over 1000, but you won't be needing to upgrade for a LONG time!

13. i have an ampeg cab with a harkte head on it for a long time and sounded nice for just under a grand.