what's series/parallel wiring???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by panazza, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    someone could please explain me what's the difference between series and parallel wiring and how does it affect the sound? how are pups wired in my standard jazz bass?
  2. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

Use the search feature. Search using the word 'series' in the pickups forum. All will be revealed.

3. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    parallel sends the +/- to each speaker from the amp.
    series has the amp send the (+) to the plus on speaker 1. out of speaker 1 (-) into speaker 2 (+). out of speaker 2 (-) into (-) amp.
    daisy chaining speakers together is using them in parallel.
    These configurations will change the impedance of your cabinet(s). The example above is with 2 speakers but more can be done dependant on your setup. Parallel will cut your ohmage in half while series will double them(basically) IE: 2, 8ohm cabs in parallel will be 4ohms. 2, 8ohm cabs in series will be 16ohms. This relates back to the output of your amp and how much power it puts out at each ohmage.
  4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    whoops! Just noticed you may have been talking about your pups. the series/parallel wiring works the same, pot +/_ to one pup=parallel or + to pup hop to next pup then (-) back to pot. I'm still new to pup wiring for sounds but I know there are books on the variety of wiring and each company does it a little different. Search for your jazz pup and look up details online.
  5. panazza, check out.....

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Also, if I may chip in, there is a thread on the top of this forum entitled PICKUPS FAQ - Please read before posting

That thread pretty much sums it up. It has links to various series/parallel discussions.

Have fun!

B.t.w. I´m also closing this thread because of multiple threads in existance on the same subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.