Whats so good about a bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassplayajew, Jun 23, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    My real question is, what are the advantages or replacing a working bridge?
  2. Your REAL question? where was your fake one?

people replce their bridges cause they want to, i mean what's the advantage of replacing a working car/barbeque/pair of shoes? I'm sure you've done that before.

people replace their bridges because THEY feel it will change their sound. who are you or me to question them?

My real question is why do you ask?
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I think we've been through all of this before.
  4. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I haven't,so I'll try to help you out. Replacing a stock bridge may help to give you more sustain or punch. If you replace it with a heavier bridge,you may help to balance out a neck dive by adding more weight to the back end. I replaced my stock Fender bridge with a Leo Quan Badass because it had more heft, which in turn gave me more sustain. Also, because it was at a great price I couldn't pass up!
  5. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm asking because I was hassled by my tech because I said I was looking for a different bridge. He sort of wouldn't let me buy one because he felt I'd be wasting money on something just as good as what I have now (EB 7/5 Die-Cast Bass Bridge)
  6. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You have an honest tech. Value him!

If you have a bass that doesn't have enough sustain with a properly installed stamped bridge, a heavier bridge ain't gonna cure the problem.

I don't quite buy into the whole sustain bit anyway.

How much sustain does one need? My P bass with flats will ring for a pretty long time.

I see more people that can't mute properly than I do instruments that don't sustain long enough.

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The only reasons I think I'd replace a working bridge:

1- To have one that I could do the set-up on my own if the stock version were to complicated or required special tools (then again, wouldn't it be simpler to get the tools and learn how to do it?). I remember a thread where a Spector owner had huge problems dealing with a bridge. I bet he was tempted to replace the bridge with one he could service himself.

2- If I simply could not get the action high or low enough due to the bridge itself.

3- To add a Piezo p'up.

4- If adding a tremolo.

I think that's about it. I guess there are some reasons.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You forgot one:

Changing/adjusting string spacing.

I have 3D bridges on almost all of my basses, makes doing a good setup much easier.

Fender-style bridges are a hassle.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A bridge where you can move the bridge saddles in 3 dimensions instead of 2 e.g. on a Fender-style bridge.
    On a 3D bridge you can adjust height and intonation AND the string spacing - you can move the string saddles sideways.
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    hmm.. having a 3d bridge sounds like it could be a good idea.. but how would you get the string spacing exact?