Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats so good about a fender jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The shape is boring and is nothing really to look at. Does it really sound that good? Isn't there anything better for the money?

2. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    how about a P-bass ;)

3. It's all a matter of preference,I myself love my jazz bass,and plan on getting better versions of it,as well as a few p basses,for I happen to love Fenders.

4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    :bassist: this should be good. :D

5. are they worth the $400+ price tag?

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    More than likely, you think that because you are 15. With time, you will learn to appreciate classic designs. Let me guess, You're a big BC Rich fan?

Well, let's think about that. The Fender J, along with the P bass, has probably recorded more hits than any other bass in history. It has a recognizable sound, and is by far, the best selling bass on the planet.

No, there isn't. There are DIFFERENT choices for the same money, but I wouldn't classify them as better. (well..unless it's a chinese made bc rich copy)

7. Why? Because J-basses have sexy curves. It sounds good if you like the sound. I prefer J-basses most of the time because i like that GROWLLLLLLLL that it gives off. You CAN NOT get that growl out of a Precision. If you like Precisions more, which about 50% do, than yeah, that would obviously be the bass that is better for the money.

8. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I respect them but myself have never liked them much. Its a preference thing. Never liked fenders. Or ampegs for that matter. Does this make me abnormal?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, it does make you abnormal.

10. No way! I hate B.C. Riches. They don't look good and they sound even worse. My favorite bass shape would be a thunderbird (as I choose my username from this) I like my t-bird but The sound isn't the greatest. I know I can get new pups but I want a new bass anyway. My t-bird is beaten up. The reason I started this thread it to find out if the Jazz bass lives up to the hype it gets. I like the design but it is boring and looks like most basses. I guess thats why I don't like it. I like to be unique but factoring in the value and the sound I guess I am in the market for one.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Your Tbird is an Epi, right? I can't imagine wanting to change the pickups in a Gibson Tbird. I love mine.

As far as Jazz basses, if you don't like them, more power to you. Find something you like the sound AND the look of.

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Why would you want to irritate soooo many people who have been playing soooo long?
    I would venture to guess the Jazz Bass and it variants are the most common on this forum.
    BTW, I don't play one, you can tell by my profile which I botherd to fill out.

13. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    For me it's all about K.I.S.S = keep it simple stupid, give me too many knobs a buttons and I'm lost.

I love the old sounds of the fenders,would have bought a P if it came with a J neck
    so I bought a J with an S-1 switch to give me a kinda P sound .

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I didn't either at 16. Took a short break from bass playing (first few weeks at college) and wanted to play tubes for the first time. Sold my seven string, began playing fretless jazz exclusively ... give it time; some day you'll dig a Jazz (probably).

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Man, this thread made me change my mind about Jazz basses. I can't wait to get rid of mine, ASAP!

16. Why?

17. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I remember starting a thread like this when I was about 13. I wanna cry thinking about all the stupid posts I made back then. In a few years, i'll probably be whining about posts that I make now though.

I might open up to them. Not out of the question, but I played a stingray recently and I loved it. It's the only bass I think about really. I havent tried too many other higher end basses but that seems like the ultimate tone to me. So clean and fat. On the other hand, I'd like to try a rickenbacker.

Im sure fender J's and P's are good certain people. P's and J's are used in most punk outfit's and arent sadowsky's just ridiculously juiced J-basses?

18. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    And I thank you for that..I hate it when I check somebody's profile and nothing is their. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.