1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's so great about a Lakland DJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Feb 27, 2008.

1. I've been hearing about how great these are from very knowledgeable TB starlwarts for a while. So much so that I've now got one on the way.

:hyper: I'd like to hear more about what people love about the DJ. (Mine is a 4 natural coming from Andy)...

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    When you get it, the best thing about it will be that it's YOURS! :)

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Its a world class J-bass at a very fair price ... and we bassists do love our jazzes.

4. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    It has a great fat passive sound!
    It feels very solid, like a rock machine!

5. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    It plays great, it sounds great and it looks great. Other than that it's just kinda so-so.

I bought a white one two months ago and absolutely love it.

6. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    I really like the Lakland headstock...

7. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I bought a Skyline DJ4 a week or two ago, with a J-Retro preamp, and I love the bass to bits. Not sure about the Pre just yet, but the bass feels and plays wonderfully.

8. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Living here in the Seattle area, I had the unique experience of having Bass Northwest all to myself for about an hour and a half one slow afternoon. Evan let me try ANYTHING I wanted for as long as I wanted. As I've written time and time again here on TB, I let feel and tone dictate my purchases, not the name on the headstock. To make a long story short, I must have tried at least a a dozen basses that afternoon - new, used, $500 - $7000. The choice came down to a Sadowsky 5 (US made) and the DJ5. Based on strictly feel and tone, I went home with the DJ5.
    The Lakland Skyline series basses are one of the greatest value line of basses out!!

Thanks,

KT

9. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    But wow better than a US Sadowsky, Hmm. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Skyline Jazz 5 leaning to the DJ but have been trying to get more input on the Joe Osborn jazz 5. Since I cant seem to locate either locally will prolly order without able to play either firsthand. Trying to see if anyone has A/B'd both to see which one would fit in a variety band setup. Im using GBE750 w/ 2-GB212T cabs and the music in 2 bands varies from straight 70's disco to TX blues-rock. And really leaning to a passive jazz.