Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats so hard about a defret

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by warwickben, Jul 28, 2002.

1. i allways see theards about people wanting to defret there bass and they all ways have problems and what not. i defreted my frist bass and my freinds guitar the same way and it took less then a half hour to get all the frets out.
    i took a wood bunner /sodering iron and held it on top of the fret to heat it up then i took a typ of wire cutters that is kinda like nailclippers and pulled it out.i only had to do light sanding.i used this wood fill in a bottle. its white and u just squeeze the bottle and it comes out these brushes on the top and u rub it in the the fret slot. and ur done after a light sandinf i was playing my bass within 2 days and my freind was playing his guitar with 3 hours.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    A fretless guitar:confused: :confused: :confused:

:eek:

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Oh, it's more common than you think.

Adrian Belew plays a fretless guitar sometimes. Also, I used to know a guy who played one. he wrote some solo tunes that sounded amazing. He'd combine glisses with harmonics and even some slaping. His name's Ned and he lives in SoCal

Godin even makes a fretless guitar model called a glissentar. [​IMG]

warwickben, what's so hard about punctuation? I mean, we know you can't spell to save your life, but not typing question marks is just lazy, I'm sorry.

4. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    Defretting really isn't hard - with the right tool.

Anyone really unable to resist the urge should just spring for the tool at StewMac.com. With the fret pull tool, it's Much easier to get the frets out without board damage.

5. sorry i was typing in a rush.

yeah my freind had a start copy that was made buy gibson or one of the compys that gibson owns.i defreted it for him, he didnt like it,like he had too thin of strings and i tried to tell him thats why the high b and e dont sound right..every one else who played it loved it.he more of a metal head slayer typ guiatre player,he played my bass and liked how u can do more with out frets.in the end he never treid to get better,so hes been trying to get fret put back in.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He's a Slayer type guitarist and he wanted a fretless guitar?! hmmmmm :rolleyes: guitarists...

7. yes he like it with alot od effect like over drive because he couldnt get chords to sound right with out any.he had the biggest problem with the band e string.i told him to get a set when there all roundwound. he played it for like a week then put it a way.i would love to do this again.

8. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Grammar. (Sentence Fragment)

Ok... Sir, please learn grammar and punctuation.

And whats the need to rush? (Sentence Fragment)

Grr... By the way, what is the need to rush?

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I have got to get one of the guitarists I know/jam with playing a fretless. It'd probably sound really cool if they could figure it out...

10. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Defretting is harder for basses that have frets with teeth because they cling on to the wood. Frets that are glued in are probably much much easier because once you break the bond between the frets and the fretboard, all you do is slide them out, no chipping...