Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's so special about Fender Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 18, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I'm not being sarcastic. I never tried to play a fender bass at all, but from what I see all over the internet, not just this site, Fender basses are very popular among bass players. I've seen Fender basses in stores, but never picked up one. I wasn't attracted to them, but I never picked one up.

Can some one tell me what's so good about Fender basses? Again, this is not anger or sarcasm, I generally don't know and would like some positive feedback. Thanks.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    If you tried one you may be able to answer some of your own questions. Then again, maybe they aren't for you. :)

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    My Fender cost me $350 brand new and has made me a lot of money.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That certainly qualifies as a good thing! :D ;)

5. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    fenders are like everywhere and you never played one?

their tone..

being the first ever electric bass sure help their reputation...

6. CoreyP

CoreyP

Jul 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    For me I think I just found the Fenders to have an attractive shape and good tone once plugged in, and the price is right. Leo Fender knew what was up, I guess, my other bass is a Musicman (Stingray 5).

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ;)

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Someone has to break out this old chestnut, and I guess I'll get it out of the way early: "Eleventy-billion hit songs can't be wrong."

9. Yup, along with being some of the most respected, and widely accepted, you have winners. Do I like other basses? Sure. Do I like Fender inspired stuff best? Yup.

A great amount of electric basses out there, you have to admit, are simply variants of the Fender vibe. Sure they look / feel / sound / constructed different, but if they have a bolt on neck, 34" scale, yadda yadda yadda, they at least owe a nod to Fenders. Only when you stray outside of that box (fanned fret, super extended scale and/or ERB type instruments, and to an extent 5 and 6 strings, tho not really) do you begin to get away form that aesthetic. Simply having a different body style or construction technique does not fully get you away from the core of the founding instrument.

10. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    For me, there is a conection that goes back to my childhood.

I grew up listening to Motown and James Jamerson's Fender P.
    Nothing else sounded like him.

I spent hours as a kid looking through the Fender catalog dreaming that one day I would own one.

Now I'm 48 years old, and when an old Motown tune comes on the radio,and I hear Jamerson's bass I think " wow, it wasn't my imagination, that bass did sound great."

It feels like home, like family.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Straight up, every bassist should have at least one Fender in their collection!

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh, whatever, go play with your little tape players. :spit:

:D ;)

13. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    MOJO

:D

14. hahahaha. I'll get you my pretties.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Like motorcycle enthusiasts say "what's so special about Harley-Davidsons?".

16. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I dunno, there is something just.... organic about them. They feel right in your hands.
    As for the sound, well I think that Fenders have been used/recorded so extensively over the years that they just sound familiar and that breeds comfort, human nature gravitates towards comfort. Call it MOJO or whatever.

17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Like said above, they feel like home. Fenders have their own character sound, and they created the standards that all other companies go by: scale length, neck widths, P pickups, J pickups, woods, etc.

As a kid I too grew up listening to 60's and 70's music which predominantly featured Fenders. Leo got the feel of the electric bass right the first time with the P and the J. I will always own various basses, but nothing feels better than strapping up an ol' fender.

18. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Thanks guys. Hey, look at my sig and cut me some slack, lol!

19. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    For me, I don't like them. They are cookie cutter beginner instruments that take parts from MIA, MIM, MIJ, MIK, Squire and all the rest and charge charge charge. Yes, I have 2.
    1 because you just cannot find a Fretless bass with a maple fretboard. The other because of the Jazz Neck!

20. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I posted a similar question some time ago and got interesting responses. Here's the thread.