Whats that black thing bass players put behind their nut?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by groove9028, Oct 17, 2004.

1. groove9028

May 25, 2004
    i've seen various bass players, eg: victor wooten, and he's had this little black tie behind the nut of his basses.. he sometimes uses it as a choke of some sort. can someone explain to me what this is, or what it's purpose is? it looks useful..

jay :bassist:
  2. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Not entirely sure.
    I mistakenly thought it might be there to be used as a capo but I heard that it's used to muffle or deaden the rattles by the nut. :eyebrow:
  3. its a scrunci (sorry about the spelling), anyways its for when they tap, because when you tap, usually other strings will start to vibrate. the scrunci will kill the vibrations so the notes don't sound through.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    What he said. You may also use the term "hair-tie" or "pony-tail rubber band" interchangeably with "scrunci." :cool:
  5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I am a tapper myself. I shall try this. :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:
  6. just don't forget to move the hair-tie up when you do...i believe guys like wooten move it behind the nut when they aren't tapping...i usually set mine around the first or second fret...i even used a bandana once, because i couldn't find a hair-tie!
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    There use to be a cool little device called a Kleen-axe (sp?) that use to mount to the headstock of a bass/guitar to mute the strings. Sadly, I don't think the product is being made anymore.
  8. i take lessons from reggie wooten and he uses a wrist bans or sweat bans, whatever you call them
  9. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Really? That guy is a MACHINE.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

Very cool, Classic Rocker.

Yeah...I'm gonna get into using 'em soon. I likes my tappin', but I hates my sympathetic vibrations.