1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's The Absolute Loudest Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philzbass, Apr 4, 2006.

1. I've been thinking about this for a while. I want to know what you guys/gals think is the overall loudest amp out TODAY! No urban legends (I know the 70's SVT's are going to come up) I'm talking something you don't have to search high and low for, easy to find and easy to buy. Well, if you have the $$$ of course.

I'm guessing the Mesa Boogie 400+ is going to be one of the tops. 500watts of ALL TUBE POWWWWER, that's impressive.

2. its 300 watts but still loud. SVT 2-pro is right in the same ballpark, maybe louder. The 1200 watt Genz Benz has got to be unfathomably loud, I know the 600 watt is stupid loud.

3. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Hard to say what the loudest amp is when you consider it's a cab that translates power to decibels. For example, a 500W amp will sound louder through an Aguilar GS112 vs an Acme B-1.

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I think cabs and voicing has almost as much to do with percieved volume as power ratings.

It's just too hard to really know.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    The mesa 400+ is a 300w amp. The rating that your quoting is a peak rating. I vote for the 400+, because It's as loud as I ever need it to be.

6. mlwarriner

mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA

the GBE1200 is painfully loud when running at 2 ohms through an ampeg svt810e and a peavey 412tvx. imagine what it would do through some higher end cabs...:ninja:

7. So, the Mesa is just as loud as the newer SVT's? It seems a little louder. Maybe it's just me.

8. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Have one custom made that goes to 11... (sorry :p)

9. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Its a rack setup, but definitely the loudest rig I've ever heard was with a Demeter Pre into a Crest CA-9. It was pushing a pair of Eden 410XLT's...I can't imagine anything much louder than that rig!

10. metalbass.com

metalbass.com

Mar 20, 2006
    In terms of Tube Amps ,

The Phil Jones puts out 650 Watts RMS
    [​IMG]

11. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    am i the only one who thinks its funny that their marketing team decided to put "probably" in the ad?

i can see them working on a car ad now..."this car is probably the fastest ever, it most likely has the best gas mileage ever, and it has a good chance of being the most reliable."

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

:D

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yes but for all we know, some Russian scientist whilst developing missile guidance systems in the Cold War may have "accidentally" built some sort of 24 tube monster bass amp instead :D.

14. Kevin O'Connor used to sell a 700 watt tube bass amp called the Spectrum for about half what the PJB goes for.

15. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    funny...thats exactly what this looks like!

[​IMG]

16. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    They should use a different slogan...

"Phil Jones 650W all tube bass amp. Perfect for the guy that likes to piss off the Sound Guy, or that doesn't know how to use a XLR line out to the PA."

17. Not to mention the thing weighs 110 Lbs....

:eek:

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The loudest amps are what they use in the mains for sound reinforcement.
    Some are class-d and 90% efficient. They transform more the available electricity into power.
    Some bass players, use a preamp and these same type of amps in their rigs.

19. metalbass.com

metalbass.com

Mar 20, 2006

Are they Solid State or Tubes?

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i think class D is for solid state stuff only.