Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the advantage of a preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Milothicus, Mar 17, 2004.

1. for a while i was thinking of putting a J-retro into my jazz, and also considered using an MXR M-80, and recently considered building my own stompbox preamp, or an onboard preamp, but every time i get one of these 'great ideas' i come to the same conclusion....what's wrong with just using the 4-band para on my amp?

is there some advantage to shaping the tone before getting to the amp? or is boosting the signal a good thing? i'm using emg-j pickups @ 18V.

what's the point of spending lots of money for a j-retro when i have boost and cut on 4 bands on my amp?

am I missing something here?

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    if you dont mind not having the extra controls on your bass, then no, you're not missing anything.

some people like to EQ using their amp before a set, and then during the set equickly make on-the-fly changes on their bass's onboard eq knobs, instead of reaching for the amp everytime

i used to, but then i bought a bass without EQ (only a tone knob, blend and volume), but i dont really miss it.

personal preference....