what's the Ampeg SVT pro 3 and Peavey Mark IV really worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kbird, May 11, 2005.

1. kbird

May 11, 2005
    My current rig is an old Peavey Mark IV with a 1x15 cab. I purchased all of this about 6yrs ago, and for the most part it's treated me pretty well. However, the band that I play with now has really pushed me beyond the mark IVs capabilites and now I'm looking to upgrade. I just recently stumbled across Ampeg's SVT pro 3 at the local C&M music store for $899. After checking around all the online stores I noticed that the price is pretty much the same across the board. So, after making you read all that, here are my questions.
    1a. Does anyone out there run with the SVT pro 3?
    1b. How does it hold up?
    1c. What type of cabinet do you plug in with. (would my cabinet be sufficent?)
    2. Has anyone seen the SVT head go for cheaper else where?
    3. What type of trade in should i expect for my mark IV?

2. 1a. nope
    1b. not tried it myself, but most people around here say its not loud enough, maybe you should look at an SVT 4 pro ?
    1c. if thats what you want and it can handle the power, why not!
    2. ebay, i got my SVT II there for £500 ( kinda, long story :p )
    3. Unfortunatly, not much, dunno about in the US but they always seem to go really cheap over here
  3. I would be more inclind to go the SVT Pro preamp, and a seperate power amp. In Australia the SVT 3 Pro is $2900AUD, thats about $500 more than amps that are just as good and have much more power- Ashdown ABM500 (575w), SWR 550X, the SWR 750X is about the same price... Plus the Ampegs SVT 3 is said to be quiet, well..... quiet!

SVT Pro Preamp $1450AUD + Power Amp, $250+ on ebay, or online stores- do the math.

Also the pwoer amp gives you quiet a broard range of power to deal with anything, you can run brigde mono, or stereo... Of course it may not be suitable for someone who wants a single unit, or even viable in your country due to the cost of each item...
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Cul - What sort of brand are you looking at for a $250 power amp? Certainly nothing decent goes that cheap here..

I strongly suggest against the SVT3Pro. In four instances i've used it. Two bands, one exensive shop use, on other shop use when trying basses i've noticed one major thing, lack of headroom...
    For that price, i'd be looking at an Ashdown Evo 500
  5. jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i just got a new SVT3-Pro and couldn't be happier with it. the tone is fantastic and it's got plenty of power and head room. i play in a loud punk/hard rock band and my boys not only can hear me, they complimented me on how good the sound was. note that i traded in a walkabout for this amp.

i realize many of you say the 3-Pro is underpowered, and perhaps for your circumstances it is. i'm running this through and eden 212xlt 4 ohm cabinet which is a very efficient cabinet (103db spl) and that helps. yes the amp requires tweaking, but i pretty much have it dialed in now.

all i'm saying is specifications only go so far. you need to let your ears and the style of music you play be the determining factor. good luck.
  6. kbird

May 11, 2005
    Thanks for the replys everyone. I'm going into the store in just a little while to give SVT one more test run and see if I can plug it into as many different cabinet combos as they have in the store. I really didn't notice a lack of power before when I tried it out, but I will really push it this time around to see if it makes a difference. All in all, when I tried it out before the tone really brought out my playing style (which really incompasses everything except playing with a pick). I could finely hear my B-string on my non active bass. However, I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb today and the next time I post I will most probably be telling you whether I went with it or not. Thanks again everyone.

7. Bah. For that price- get an Aguilar AG-500 or a Thunderfunk. The SVT-3 Pro is severely lacking in the headroom department.
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    +1 on the AG 500.. Excellent amp.
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    There is so much better stuff than the SVT-3 Pro in the price range. I'm not saying its bad sounding (though its not to my taste), but it is quite overpriced in my opinion. Look used for something all tube if you want a warm sound, which is quite suited for rock. With it pair a Bergie cab or an Eden cab if you can afford it, or an Avatar or a used cab if you can't. If you want Hi-Fi, go a pre and power all SS route with either SWR or GK cabs.
  10. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    power amp - crown XLS

I got mine 402 (1140 watts bridged @ 4 ohms) 3 months used for $200. The deals are out there if you shop around a bit. I think that amp sells new for $350.
  11. kbird

May 11, 2005
    Alright, after reading all the comments here and going to HarmonyCentral.com and reading the 50 or so post there (it scored 8-9 across the board), I went back to the store this past Thursday. I even brought one of my band mates that is a little more tech. savey than I am. I pluged it in to an ampeg 4x10 cab then a hartke 4x10 + 4x10 setup and then on a single swr 1x15. The swr was the only one I got a bad sound out of and that is only because that speaker was fried. I cranked the sound to the point where it was way to loud for the open floor show room, and didn't find any loss of tone and no fuzzing out on me. After talking with one of the stores sales reps. for a little while he came down $100 on the price (making it $799 + tax) and didn't take my peavey mark IV because he said they didn't have a market for it :meh: :( .

Anyhow, I walked out the door with it that day. I brought it to practice that night, and the other band members where blown away. Unfortunatly, our drummer wasn't able to be there that night so I didn't get to push it. However, the real test starts today because we will be recording our demo live. I think this is really where I am going to start loveing SVT simply because I'll be able to put a lot more sound in the board for the engineer to work with.

Anyway, just wanted thank all of you for replying. I know that the common consensus on this thread was that I shouldn't go with the pro 3. However, due to what your complaints were, I was able to more acurately test the amp and found that it offered enough (if not more) headroom for what I need.