1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what's the appeal of ibanez basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pete528, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Pete528

Pete528

Aug 13, 2007
    i always hear people in my school talking about how great ibanez guitars and basses are.

i'm more of a fender person so i don't get it.

so what makes ibanez guitars good, and what kind of music are they best for? i play a lot of alternative rock, classic rock and sometimes folk

2. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    they're good for metal. they have thin necks...stuff...

3. I personally like then because of the tight string spacing and fast neck.. and they're not ugly like fenders. I use mine for all Genre. metal, Jazz.

4. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Well made. Good bang for the buck.

5. peaveyman09

peaveyman09

Nov 14, 2007
    they're really good bang for the buck, i bought my first bass, a ibanez gsr200, and it was very decent for that price, very nice for metal and rock

6. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    heheh i own a btb450qm, so i don't have a thin neck. Damn the build quality is great though! And the feel is amazing.

Only thing i might want to change later on is the pickups and electronics.

To be honest i have played way more expensive basses and like the feel of this one better.

7. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    +1 to everything said, except fender's are ugly. I persoanlly enjoy the look of a good Fender jazz. :D

8. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    i personally think the jazz is too big in a way, but i love the p bass look:hyper::bassist:

9. Ibanez makes good instruments. Their basses aren't my thing, but I do like their acoustic guitars.

10. arent P basses bigger than J basses....

and jazz basses are the sexiest thing on this planet:ninja:

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I had one back in the 80's, it was a solid performer. My son plays guitar, (it's like a bass, but with tiny little strings and makes a god aweful noise), he absolutely loves his Ibanez. Bang for the buck, and they come in an assortment of groovy colors.

12. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    The appeal of Ibanez to some people, is the same appeal you have for Fender. To each his own.

13. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    Ibanez srx2ex1 is my first bass. I like the styling of the bass, the think neck and the bang for your buck. Its a cool bass, sounds good, probably will change electronics in the future. Just wish it had more sustain.

Look wise, rickenbacker 4003 blows all the basses out of the water.

14. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Bang for the buck has always been the Ibanez forte. I owned an EX 5-string several years ago. I still see more of them around than anything.

15. Ibanez basses are well built, the sound pretty good, and they are affordable. I've been a fan of their Soundgear line for years. The current SR500 is one of the best basses out there for the money($550). For about $60 more than a Fender Jazz MIM, you get a bass with a 5-piece exotic neck, pearloid inlays, and Bartolini pickups and active electronics (again, Bartolini) - all in a streamlined, high quality package.

If you leave resale value out of the equation, I would choose an Ibanez over a Fender every time. But that's just me.... (and I don't currently own either of these 2 brands at the moment).

16. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    +1 plus it sounds like Gods whistling:bassist:

17. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    I've played an Ibanez SR885 for 15 years. I replaced the pickups with some Bartolini's and NTMB preamp 13 years ago. I recently bought a SR506 and while the build quality is not what the 885 is there are a few things I can do to it to bring it up to speed.

While I love all of the fancy high end basses like Modulus and Warwick, honestly they don't make you play better. I sound pretty much the same playing any bass and since I'm not a millionaire I appreciate what Ibanez has done by bringing an affordable bass to market that plays in tune, stays in tune, feels good and has brought me years of enjoyment. My "Jewel Blue" SR885 has been the best friend I've ever had.

18. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    A friend who is an awesome bass player recently put aside his '73 Jazz to play and Ibanez full time. Since I've known him, he's had Rics, a fretless P, a Hofner Beatle Bass, a pre-EB StingRay, and any number of others.

He says the neck on the Ibanez is slimmer and more comfortable than anything else he's played.

Sting played a fretless Ibanez with Police, if I remember.

Definitely not junk.

19. I have both an Ibanez Ergodyne and Fender P-bass. The Ibanez was my 1st bass, and the bang-for-buck factor was one deciding factor in my purchase. I find that I like the neck size and string spacing. Very playable. The Fender is my back up, and I bought it because, well, it is a Fender.:) The Ibanez is my go-to, I'm just more comfortable with it, and with the active electronics, seems to give me more tone variety.

20. The only Ibanez I like is my Axestar. I just never cared for any of the other models. Some of the other old 80's Ibbys are cool. I cannot STAND the SDgr, logo. IMHO, it just looks CHEEZY :(