1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the average quality of early 90s MIJ Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EmaTheMirror, Oct 17, 2009.

1. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    Hello,

I'd like to know if you think you can assess an average quality production for Japanese Jazz Basses made in the early 90s. I might consider a '93 MIJ Jazz (alder/rosewood) as my next buy, but I'd like to have some general feedback about that production.

Thanks!

:)

2. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    I have a 93' Pbass. Not jazz but still fantastic. Overall the quality of 90s MIJ's which I encountered was very good. They're not built with materials as good as the MIA's, but the craftsmanship is as good if not better.

3. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    +1000

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    They are fantastic. I particularly love the Passive Standard Jazz Bass unlined fretless from this period.

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    They rival the MIA's - no wait - they trump the MIA's (at least the jazz I owned) from that era.

Great instruments and well priced.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yup, no doubt!

7. Punk Jazz

Punk Jazz

Sep 17, 2009
    Dover, NH
    I have owned late 80's and late 90's MIJ's and I have always loved them more that MIA's of the same period.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I don't think Fender Japan has ever had a "bad" era. The quality is consistantly excellent.

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    yup - and you can save about half the price vs. buying an MIA if you're smart and do your shopping

10. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Agreed.

I got an 87 jazz at GC for 250 out the door. Had some
    neck bow and needed a truss rod tweak. (They thought it was a dog
    as it was unplayable.) That was 4 years ago. I fixed it right up, not problem.

Last month my guitar player offered to change the strings
    and set it up. He is actually a very good tech. He brought it back the
    next day.

His comment? 'This is probably the nicest jazz I have ever played.'

YMMV.

11. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I had a mid '90s P and it was great.

12. After half-a-dozen MIJ/CIJs of various eras, this has absolutely been my experience; can't say the same for MIA, sadly...

13. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I've actually never played a bad MIJ bass. From the 80s to modern ones they all seem to be quite well made. MIM and MIA instruments are quite inconsistent in quality by comparison, IME at least.

14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    All the early '90s MIJ Fenders I've owned have been very good.

15. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have a '91 MIJ Fender '51 Re-issue Precision that is one of the nicest playing basses I've ever got my hands on. Needs a shielding job, but other than that it's fantastic.

c-

16. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    These were made in the Fujigen Fender factory and the fit and finish were excellent for the money....

17. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    as long as its not been abused i can't imagine anyone having a problem with these instruments. i've owned a lot of fenders (like a lot of people) the japanese are awesome.

18. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Anyone here ever own an early 90s mb4?

19. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yes they are. I have a 93 CIJ unlined fretless. It has nice sleek neck and is nice and light. I'd love to have the fretted version too.

20. gaffster787

gaffster787

Aug 22, 2009
    FLORIDA
    i agree with the comments about the quality being great.. i have a nice foto-flame topped jazz i bought new... what a joy, even to a t-bird guy like me !!!