What's the bass with the most "fake"/synthetic tone you've played/heard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EmaTheMirror, Aug 7, 2020.

1. I'm curious about your opinions and experiences.

I once had one of those fretless Cort Curbow with a tiny "luthite" body (synthetic, moulded after the "real" Curbow thing) and "ebonol" fretboard - again, not wood. One of those active licensed Bart soapbars as pickup wired to a fairly noisy preamp, with the highest output I've ever experienced even with the trimmer turned all the way down.
    Add to the equation the fact that strings were directly in touch with the synthetic fretless fingerboard and not frets, and you can have a guess.
    Definitely compressed to the bone and rather cold. I expected that anyway and they never marketed them as "the sound of wood" (cit.), I just wanted to get a cheap, comfortable five string fretless and I saw that second hand for almost nothing. It was fun for a while, then I felt like I was vibrating "plastic" notes.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Mili, Rabidhamster and Qlanq like this.
  2. I played a Steinberger copy (can't remember the brand) back in the Eighties that had a pair of soap-bar looking pickups that sounded like a real Steinberger played through an AM radio. It was the BL's bass, and he insisted I play it because it had "the look". Regardless of how much drastic EQ I used it always sounded thin and honky.

EmaTheMirror likes this.
  3. Did he insist while sporting a mullet and some weird shirts too?

gebass6, The Owl, Engle and 3 others like this.
  4. Nah. I did that on my own! It was the Eighties after all! ;):roflmao::cool:

Opps, I thought you meant insist on ME sporting a mullet and wearing weird shirts...

5. D2F29819-102E-44C9-8F41-1E34720B0395.jpeg

it’s Geddy! Hi Geddy!

chrisbmets, bobba66, teh-slb and 14 others like this.
  6. The bass synth keyboards used by many groups during the 80s and for the Sienfeld sitcom.

7. Yeah, I meant generated by real vibrating strings

TolerancEJ likes this.
  8. I doubt that was a honky tinny sounding copy... Still, of all his tones/gear transitions, that's probably my least favourite. I prefer the "early 90s JB Renaissance" by large, and it seems it stood the test of time for longest.

dkelley likes this.
  9. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Sire fans may crucify me, but I had two first gen. V7 and both sounded to me like a bit like synthetic midi bass sounds. They were far from worst bass guitars, it's just that I expected much more. In the mix they were ok, but I flipped them in the end.

scott cuppello, teh-slb and Mili like this.
  10. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder

Sep 2, 2008
    Line6 Variax.

gebass6, Templar, Ikkir and 4 others like this.
  11. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    NC
    Alembic Series 1.
    (& It was awesome)

Geri O likes this.
  12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Have to agree.
    Sounds like a bass that went through this and came out looking like a bass but somehow sounding...bland?
    Fly-Pod-590-x-324-jpg-cf.jpg

13. Rdore2000

Rdore2000

Jul 21, 2008
    Those Nuclear Green Dean basses. I'd own one if not for the videos I saw of the synthetic sound.

14. Did it buzz too? :p

15. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    I'm probably gonna catch some flak for this, but Steinbergers. Specifically the L2. Twice I've listened to them, both played by different guys on different stacks, and they sounded like synth keyboards each time. It's the main reason I really dislike Steiny's. Along with their shape.

rmayer likes this.
  16. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    To my ears, most Ibanez bases sound fake.

Jakeman, nattiep, booch29 and 4 others like this.
  17. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    My vote from instruments Ive played has to go to the Willcox Lightwave. Not like anything I've ever played before.

Lackey and jd56hawk like this.
  18. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Also, the Hofner Shorty is fake sounding.

pellomoco14 likes this.
  19. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    8A4B13F0-2CF8-4F81-90C1-1ABE2C61FBFB.jpeg For instruments, I'd have to say the late 90s/early 2000s Ibanez Ergodynes that were made out of Luthite instead of wood... Sounded like a box of muddy farts. :bored:
    I ended up getting a wooden version later on and I like that one very much.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    eldoryder, bassballs27, Mili and 3 others like this.
  20. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Anything with a graphite neck and EMGs. Not for me.

ac100X and GravyGoodness like this.