Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats the Battery life on active pick-ups???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Mud

Mud

Aug 19, 2001
    Chicago
    What woud you say the estimated life of a 9V battery is when you have active pick-ups. How can you help preserve them?

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    just make sure you unplug your bass when not practicing or if you are going to the bathroom in the middle of your practice :)

3. i've played my old Samick for nearly 8 months without changing the battery..

some basses use a lot of juice, some don't...

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    My bass has an active pre-amp and I normally change the battery every 10 months....

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    really??

i was worried about my ibanez btb... i mean, it uses two batteries and since i have never used active basses i thought they lasted little time...

my bass is also passive pickups --> Active Electronics, so does this means it has more battery life? (because there are no active pickups?)

i´m an active bass newbie too :D

6. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Using 2 batteries does not mean that the battery life is longer - you probably have an 18v preamp which gives your bass sound more headroom. The preamp is only switched on when your bass has the cord plugged in, so when you are not playing, unplug the cord from your bass. It all depends on how often you play.

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    thanks... i already knew that...

and i want to say that 18v rules!

:D

yesterday a friend of mine let me borrow a bigger amp and for the first time i totally drowned the sound of my guitar player :eek: :D

he was kinda mad (in a friendly way)

and the mids on my BTB totally cuts thru... i can´t wait to get my own amp (blame the GAS).

8. Cirrus

Cirrus Guest

Apr 30, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Another thing I noticed that effects the battery life of my basses is temperature changes. One of my basses that travels with me more runs out quicker from getting warm in the back seat then cooling off inside even though overall it doesn't really get played more often.
    But, if you gig or play a fair amount, I think a decent rule of thumb is to change out the batteries about every 6 months. I let mine go last time and my bass died in the middle of a song at a show, which kinda sucked. Good thing I bring a backup. ;)

Peter

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've had very good experiences with rechargeables. Never had a failure onstage or in rehearsal.
    I use 160mAh NiMH Panasonics. I calculated a average 50hrs of use with the consumption of my bass electronics, which is more than enough. Just make sure you get a good (electronic) charger that can do a complete discharge and has overcharge protection.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Just to be safe I'll usually put a fresh battery in before each gig(which lately is every 6-8 weeks).Its probably overkill,but the last thing I want to happen is for the battery to crap out during a gig.
    The old batteries get used for my tuner,chorus pedal etc........

11. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    3000 hours for the emg p/j set i got on a single 9v but i usually change it every 3 months just to be safe and not have it die on my in the middle of a gig or somthing

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you're only playing a gig every two months, your battery should last at LEAST two years! Six gigs a year, even if they're four hours a gig only equals about 24 hours a year on your bass, not counting rehearsals, practice, etc. Any 9v should be able to last a LONG time at that rate. I usually do between 150 and 200 gigs a year and, although I have several instruments, my active basses only eat batteries at a rate of about one a year. You're definitely investing heavily in the battery companies without much return, I'd say.

13. Hi all,

I'm sort of lazy and stupid sort of person so I hardly ever remove the cabble from my bass, it just stands here at night and sometimes for days with the plug in, only remove it for transport or if I'm sure I'm not gonna play for long, and I still use batteries for two or three month. I wait till they die to change, allthough if there is a change it is time for it I use a new one for a gig, but on my Yamaha you can change one in seconds.

Yvette

14. I replace all my batteries every October and every April. Then I just forget about them.