Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the best 1x10 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRBrown, Feb 26, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Is it the SWR workingman's 10? Or what?

I'm looking to get the most bang in a portable setup.

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks. I need a "small" combo that kicks butt. About the size of the SWR Workingman's 10. It doesn't have to be loud, but it must sound good.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i owned a workingmans 10 for about 2 days, and i thought it sounded great - in the store. in my home too for that matter. as soon as i took it to a rehearsal it might just as well have been an AM radio i was plugged into. if you're not playing loud at all, I'd say it's great, if you have a drummer that hits with any conviction i'd say forget the whole 10" deal.

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Joe Nerve,
    I'll agree with you on your assessment of the Workingman's 10, sounds like an AM radio. The Euphonic Audio is a whole different story. I've used this cab in top 40 bands without the help of a PA and it does the job quite well. Members of the band even commented on how well they could hear the bass. Definitely worth having if a small rig is your need. Put it with the CXL110 extension cab and look out!

5. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    James,

I heartily recommend that little GK Combo. I bought mine for ~$545.

It's very small and VERY loud for its size. I owned it at the same time as an SWR WM12, and it was louder. It's not a really "warm" amps, but you it's really clear and articulate.

If you decide to go with SWR, and don't mind paying the scratch, the Baby Blue 1x10 combo sounds really good and is a lot lighter than the WM stuff.

GK Notes:
    * 150 w (with extension, GK 12lb. available)
    * 12" speaker, but it behaves like a 10"
    * Good tone shaping capabilities
    * This is one combo you can truly 'one hand' around

I went through a few small combos, and this is the one I kept.

6. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    yeah, those do kick butt, but @ 55lbs, are they 'small'?

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love the Ampeg BA110.

It's wonderful for home practice and VERY small gigs, like in these obscure cellar jazz clubs.
    It doesn't mind low Bs neither.

Don't expect it to stand against a full rock band though.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    yup, I think so... but I'd also say the GK is REALLY small ;)

I played the GK at rehearsle years back... also a great amp IMO

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Either Euphonic Audio combo should work exceedingly well especially the iAmp-800 Combo (1x12).

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    The objective here is low-level solo practice. However, the sound has to be accurate. The amp has to be able to handle a low-B as well. This is an amp that I will travel with. 10" is the magic number unless the 12" combo has the electronincs mounted in the rear. (15 x 15 x 15 could work)

11. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'll stick by my suggestion of the GK:

Dimensions:

Weight: 24 lbs.
    Dimensions: 13.7"W x 15"H x 8.5"D

Buy the GK Road Bag and you're good to go.

Accurate, very clear sound (though not 'warm').

Handles a low-B really well.

12. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    And I'll stick by my suggestion. Euphonic Audio. I've owned the GK and it doesn't come close!

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    2nd that emotion.

No other 1x10 combo that I know of can touch the iAmp-350 Combo for portability/tone.

14. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks! Almost there. What's the next best thing to the iAmp-350? At 18x15x13, it almost the same as the workingman's-12. and at $1400-:eek:

What are the thougths on the workingman's-10?

CW, How did the GK compare to the WM12?

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Tech Soundsystems Neodynamic Cube

NC 110 T

1x10"+tweeter
    180W @ 8 Ohm
    45-20000 Hz
    15.5 kg

1100 € in Germany

www.tech-soundsystems.com

16. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    GK vs. WM12

GK is much lighter, smaller, and louder. It's truly portable, while I consider the WM12 to be "manageable" though very awkward w/ one hand.

Regarding tone:

The WM12 gets pretty decent tone really. It's modern, but has a bit of warmth to it. It handles a low B just fine. The WM10 I auditioned got a little farty on the B. I've mentioned before that alarming 'click' when you turned off SWR amps just bugs me (personal thing). Supposedly it doesn't harm speaker. It has respectable tone shaping abilities.

The GK is more "hi-fi":clearer, more articulate, but can be tad on the 'cold' side. I would say it handle the low B at least as well if not better than the WM12. I play my Q5 through the GK every day and I'm always happy with the sounds I get.

By the way, I don't dispute that the EA and Ashdown top the GK in tone and volume. It just doesn't meet my perceived height/weight/price(?) requirements of the question. Those are pro-quality gig-worthy amps -- James is looking for a good practice amp here.

17. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The LA8 was my first attempt at getting a nice practice/coffee shop gig combo. I bought it 'sound unheard' when it first came out.

It sounds like complete pooh with a 5 string (massive farts) and you need to roll off the high end completely to avoid serious noise.

The WM10 is much better, and the blowout price of $359 @ B.C. is tempting. You could do much worse...

18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I really like my SansAmp/Tech21 Landmark 60. I didn't need a lot of power, so this little 60W combo fits my needs perfectly. That, and the preamp is based on the RBI, so it sounds great! Built-in DI, too.

Next time I'm out with my big rig, I'm going to try using the LM 60 as a kickback monitor and also to drive my power amp via the DI. It should work and sound great!